UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer scy86dev
Observer

Zynq 7010 uart register masks defined in xuartps_hw.h i believe are incorrectly defined?!

Hardware Platfrom: Zynq7010 MicroZed Development Board

I'm looking at file <xuartps_hw.h> in my BSP and I believe the XUARTPS_MR_STOPMODE_MASK macro is incorrectly defined. According to the Zynq-7000 SoC Techincal Reference Manual (UG585) here in section (Appx. B: Register Details), subsection (UART Controller) and register definition for XUARTPS_MR_OFFSET the bits for the STOPMODE are bits 7:6. Therefore, the mask if I'm not mistaken should be...

#define XUARTPS_MR_STOPMODE_MASK 0x000000C0U

However, the file <xuartps_hw.h> has it defined as 0x000000A0U instead...

mask.png

Is my assumption here correct or am I crazy?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Re: Zynq 7010 uart register masks defined in xuartps_hw.h i believe are incorrectly defined?!

Hah, nice catch. It looks like you're correct. Perhaps you're the first person ever to actually use the 1.5 stop-bits mode - I don't think I've ever seen it used before.

If you leave this thread un-solved for a while, someone from Xilinx should wander along to have a look at it.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Zynq 7010 uart register masks defined in xuartps_hw.h i believe are incorrectly defined?!

Hi @scy86dev ,

From the description of register I can see that 7:6 ->11 means reserved, how many stop bits you are expecting?

Best Regards
Abhinay PS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Observer scy86dev
Observer

I'm just programming for 1 stop bit so this 0xA0 bug or "feature" isn't going to affect me in any way. However, my original question was whether this mask should be 0xC0 instead of 0xA0. This is just a bit mask so what do you mean here by reserved?

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@abhinayp The problem is if (for example) someone sets the stop mode to 1-bit with:

reg = (reg & ~XUARTPS_MR_STOPMODE_MASK) | XUARTPS_MR_STOPMODE_1_BIT;

If the bottom 8 bits were originally 0x60 (1.5 stop bits, no parity, 8-bit characters) then this changes them to 1.5 stop bits (because it doesn't clear the right bit), even parity, and 8-bit characters. Clearly not what the user was expecting!

0 Kudos