Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

integrating edk and ise together

Hi all, 

Good day and hope everybody is enjoying xilinx forums.

actually i was wondering as i have a project i am working where i built a big system in VHDL and i needed features in edk like ethernet , urt and usb and i needed to integrate both of them in one system as what i need to do is to take the output of the VHDL system and feed it as a GPIO input to the edk system and in the edk there will be code that will be executed and in it the input from the GPIO will be passed to the ethernet and/or usb too. 

Is there anybody who can help me regarding this matter with some hints pseudo code or even code , i would appreciate that .

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I'm pretty sure this has been covered before quite a lot in the forums or elsewhere online if you look around, but anyway, I'll chip in. The very basic parts are:

Start an ISE project

In the dropdown menu Project > New Source you can create an embedded processor. The standard is to name it "system," but you can probably name it whatever you want I'm sure.

This will cause XPS to open, and you can configure your platform as you usually would, but when you're done, you can instantiate the EDK portion as a component within your top VHDL file.

Then, all inputs and outputs that exist on your EDK project, you are free to do whatever you like with them in your top level VHDL.

In the list of sources in ISE, you can highlight your embedded processor, and select the process "view HDL instantiation template" just as you can with any IP core from the Core Generator.

If you want to use the IPIF (custom IP interface) or FSL to talk to whatever blocks are in your VHDL, you can definitely find tutorials on the internet that will give you all the details, though many of them may be for very old versions of ISE/EDK, so there will be some differences, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Hope it helps!

Steve