UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer kef2189
Observer

opb2plb

I have a legacy core implementing the plb34 interface.  I would like to excercise this core using software on a microblaze, so I created an EDK system with a microblaze on an opb bus, a opb2plb bridge, and a plb bus.  As a sanity check, I put a bram on the plb bus, to ensure that I could read and write to the bus. 

However, I'm having trouble.  If I try to write to the BRAM, nothing happens, and I get a constant return value of 0 for my writes  (I've made the pointer nonvolatile and disabled the cache).  

I'm wondering if perhaps I've misconfigured something.  My bridge has address range 0x10000000 to 0x1fffffff, and the bram has (plb) range 0x10000000 to 0x10007fff.  

Does anyone have experience with this sort of design?  Id I had a working EDK project with something like this in it, I think all my problems would be solved, so if you could send one, that would be great.

I can post more information if necessary.

Thanks,

Elliott

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: opb2plb

The ML405 MicroBlaze reference design includes a opb2plb bridge to access the PLBv3.4-based TFT controller:

http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards/ml405/reference_designs.htm

Cheers,

bt

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I have had problems with PLBv46 to OPB connections before as the timeout logic on OPB and PLBv3 buses do not match up with the new v46 spec.  For me, under heavy bus load, reads to the OPB return all zero's even to addresses that should always return non-zero values.  I never get a bus error or timeout though (verified with ChipScope).

I would recommend looking at the system.vhd file located in your EDK sub-directories just to make sure that all of the proper clock and reset signals are connected up to each of the buses and bridges.

Does the core have a master or slave interface (or both).  If it is slave only, it is very easy to convert to the newer bus specification.  Master interfaces take a bit more work, but the createip tool can build most of the interface for you.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer kef2189
Observer

I see.  Unfortunately, it is a bus master. I suppose I might be able to hack up some bus bridge.  Maybe one already exists?  This seems like something Xilinx should provide for convience.  

I did add a reset block to the system, since there was some documentation that stated a reset of at least 2 cycles was needed.  

So, the idea is that opd may timeout and just return a 0?  There is some parameter that deals with this.  Did you try tweaking it?

0 Kudos
Observer kef2189
Observer

I notice this variable:

PARAMETER C_NUM_OPBCLK_PLB2OPB_REARB =100 

in the 8.1 sample code.   I copied this in to my mhs, but it did not seem to work. Hmmm.... I suppose I can copy my mhs params for comment:

BEGIN plb_v34
 PARAMETER INSTANCE = plb_v34_0
 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.02.a
 PARAMETER C_EXT_RESET_HIGH = 1
 PARAMETER C_NUM_OPBCLK_PLB2OPB_REARB = 100
 PORT PLB_Clk = sys_clk_s
 PORT SYS_Rst = proc_sys_reset_0_Bus_Struct_Reset
END

BEGIN plb_bram_if_cntlr
 PARAMETER INSTANCE = plb_bram_if_cntlr_0
 PARAMETER HW_VER = 1.00.b
 PARAMETER c_include_burst_cacheln_support = 1