UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

peripheral with Fast Simplex Link (FSL)

Hello,

I want to build an I/O peripherial that communicate with PPC via Asynch. FIFO module. So i suggest to use FSL which has internally FIFO memory. In addiation i need the PPC to be the slave side, because it will receive the data from FIFO and won't send any data to my IO. But i can't do this using create peripheral wizard because it supports only master mode(i.e. make PPC to be the MASTER), or both master and slave in the same time. and doesn't support only slave mode.

So what is your suggestion to solve this problem.

Note: The Master side will be outside the board (another board). so i need to connect this bus to external IO bin.

Thank you in advanced.

Message Edited by hamzah.aaaa on 04-08-2009 04:51 AM
Best Regards.
Hamzah A. Abdel-Aziz
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: peripheral with Fast Simplex Link (FSL)

Hi,

If you want to get two processors to communicate on different boards then FSL might not be the best solution.  I only say this because you will need to get all the signals across to the other board.  Signal integrity at the FSL bus speeds over say 0.5meters may be a huge issue here. 

I would try something as simple as RS232, or make a custom IP core with a PLB interface and a SERDES component.

Can anyone else verify, but I don't think FSL was intended for this purpose?

Lachlan.

Lachlan Grogan
CEO, SIL3 Pty Ltd
Melbourne, Australia
http://sil3.com.au
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Re: peripheral with Fast Simplex Link (FSL)

Hi,

this won't be processor to a processor communication.

Just, it seem like one way data transfer without in ACK or handshaking. (It seem like sensor.) so the Asy. FIFO is the best solution.

and FSL contain a bulit in Asynch. FIFO.

Thank you

Best Regards.
Hamzah A. Abdel-Aziz
0 Kudos