cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olivetree
Observer
Observer

tranlation_table.s error in standalone BSP during compilation with ARM compiler 6

Jump to solution

Hi,

I generated a zcu102 board bsp for a bare metal application using XSDK, and then imported it into ARM ds-5 as eventually I will need to use Dstream to debug the application. After setting a serial of includes path in the bsp project settings, the compilation came to a stage to report " invalid reassignment of non-absolute variable 'SECT' in '.set' directive" when it compiles the translate_table.s file under the standalone_v6_4 folder.

Does anyone have an idea about this error?

Thanks,

Olive

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericv
Scholar
Scholar

@@olivetree

The ARM tool-chain is not 100% compatible with GCC (Xilinx's SDK).

ARMCC is GCC compatible (it even pre-defines __GNUC__) but the assembler is definitely not.

Here's some options I can think of:

- You'll have to rework the ASM files.

- Assemble the .s files with GCC (caveat: I never tried it) and use them as-is with ARMLINK. ARMASM output files (axf) are ELF files; this is the same object format as the GCC AS.

- You could set your DS5 project path & commands (or a makefile) to use Xilinx's tool-chain directly for the build.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@olivetree  Is this a DS-5 or SDK error?

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
olivetree
Observer
Observer

@hbucher wrote:

@olivetree  Is this a DS-5 or SDK error?

The error is generated in DS-5 with the ARM Assembler, but the BSP files I am compiling is generated from SDK. I just imported the BSP files into the DS-5.

Another thing I am not very clear is that I generated standalone bsp for creating bare metal application, but the generated bsp files seem include lots of Linux header files (At least I have to set path to some Linux Include directories to get rid some compilation errors). Do you have a clue why the Linux headers are required by the bare metal bsp?

Thanks,

Olive

0 Kudos
hbucher
Scholar
Scholar

@olivetree Are you sure DS-5 is supported by the Xilinx SDK? 

vitorian.com --- We do this for fun. Always give kudos. Accept as solution if your question was answered.
I will not answer to personal messages - use the forums instead.
0 Kudos
olivetree
Observer
Observer

@hbucher wrote:

@olivetree Are you sure DS-5 is supported by the Xilinx SDK? 

I am just porting the XSDK generated bsp code into DS-5. Xilinx had a document showing how to do it for the Zynq-7000 platform, now I am following the instructions provided in the documen to do the same thing for the ZCU102 board (https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1185-Zynq-software-development-with-DS-5.pdf). I think it doable, but I am just stuck at this translation_table.s file. I think I knew what the problem is now, but I still do not a solution for it. The problem is that the translate_table.s is generated for GNU ARM assembler, but I am using ARM assembler who seems not be able to recognize some of the directives created for GNU arm assembler. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Olive

0 Kudos
ericv
Scholar
Scholar

@@olivetree

ARMCC is GCC compatible (it even pre-defines __GNUC__) but the assembler is definitely not.

- Assemble the .s files with GCC (caveat: I never tried it) and use them as-is with ARMLINK. ARMASM output files (axf) are ELF files; this is the same object format as the GCC AS.

- You could set your DS5 project path & commands (or a makefile) to use Xilinx's tool-chain directly for the build.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
olivetree
Observer
Observer

@ericv wrote:

@@olivetree

Regards

Thanks ericv for your suggestions! The problem is solved by revising some of the directives in the .S file.

0 Kudos