UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor edg10
Visitor

update custom ip driver

I have a driver written for a custom IP I added to a project in Vivado 2015.4. After generating the bitstream I can export the design to the SDK and create a BSP. The BSP builds fine. After some testing, I find there are some features or changes I want to make on the driver.

If I make changes to the driver in my ip_repo directory, Vivado prompts to regenerate the bitsteam before exporting to the SDK even though the hardware hasn't changed. So I regenerate the bitstream, export to SDK, rebuild the BSP and everything is fine.

The question is, why do I need to regenerate the bitstream when only the software driver has changed before I can update it in the SDK? Is there not a way to update the driver seperately from the hardware so I don't need to regenerate the bitstream every time?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Re: update custom ip driver

If there is no HW change, then you can set the needs_refresh property to false.

For example:

set_property needs_refresh false [get_runs impl_1]

0 Kudos
Visitor edg10
Visitor

Thanks Stephenm, I'll give that a try. It still seems strange that I would need to do this though. The old XPS tool flow had the option to clean and regenerate the BSP seperately from the hardware making the driver updates easy, or am I missing something with Vivado?

0 Kudos
Visitor edg10
Visitor

Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. I entered the command in the TCL console but Vivado still prompts to rebuild the hardware after a driver update in my ip_repo. If I ignore the Vivado prompt and simply export the design to the SDK, the SDK doesn't recognize any cahnges and the BSP isn't rebuilt.

0 Kudos