UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

Visitor

Re: 2014.2 Image Build Processes Error

I'm on CentOS 6.5 and was able to successfully use petalinux-build exactly once.  I then used petalinux-configure to modify a few settings for the rootfs (added libraries), and now the build crashes similar to everyone else's.  My logs indicate the failure is on ifupdown.

I've tried the several-run method to no avail.  And since this system is yum-based, I don't see how the dpkg path change would help me.

At this point I've tried cleaning (petalinux-build -x distclean) before attempting another build, and the build for the rootfs still fails.

Observer

My environment: CentOS 6.5 (64bit kernel) on VMware

What I performed is as follows

1. installed petalinux to /opt/pkg (so that deep location should be avoided)

2. yum install libselinux (since i686 needed this package)

3. yum install libselinux.i686 

4. yum install libstdc++.so.6 

Then, building process worked til end.

I found that when I try to "make" at "linux/rootfs/" I got error saying "libstdc++.so.6  nof found". So I instgalled libstdc++.so.6.

Observer

I also added following path, just in case at .bashrc

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/pkg/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/linux-i386/arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/bin
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/pkg/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin

Highlighted

Maybe better solution is not to replace system app, but just add it to PATH for build session.

My solution:

extract /opt/petalinux-v2014.2-final/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo/pool/main/u/update-rc.d/update-rc.d_0.7-r5_all.deb
    dkpg-deb --extract update-rc.d_0.7-r5_all.deb ~/petalinux_fix    (or wherever you want it)

add path of petalinux version of update.rc.d (just extracted) to PATH
   export PATH=~/petalinux_fix/usr/sbin:$PATH

that finally solved my issue.

Visitor

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, PetaLinux 2014.2, 64-bit machine.
I am getting the following error trying to execute:
petalinux-build

[ERROR] E: Sub-process /opt/PetaLinux/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (127)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux

I tried some of the ideas above but no luck!

Any idea please

Works for me.

But instead of playing with PATH you can just do:

dpkg-deb --extract $PETALINUX/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo/pool/main/u/update-rc.d/update-rc.d_0.7-r5_all.deb .
sudo mv usr/sbin/update-rc.d $PETALINUX/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin
rmdir usr/sbin usr

Regards

Rouven

Visitor

Hi all,

do we already have a fix for this issue? The previous solutions didn't work for me.

I'm on a Ubuntu 14.04, using PetaLinux 2013 (and 2014), without success.

Please help!

Franck 

Visitor

Alright folks,

I got the issue fixed finally and this is how:

I started first by looking in the build.log file for more information about the issue and I found the following:

[ALL ] tinylogin-dev update-rc.d update-rc.d-dev

[ALL ] Authentication warning overridden.
[ALL ] /opt/PetaLinux/petalinux-v2013.10-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg: error while loading shared libraries: libselinux.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /opt/PetaLinux/petalinux-v2013.10-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (127)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ALL ] make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fyonga/Documents/Embedded_linux/Peta_projects/Xilinx-ZC702-2013.3/build/linux/rootfs/packages-repo'

and by checking at the depencies of dpkg used by petalinux, the command

ldd /petalinux/installation/folder/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg

returned:

linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf7731000)
libselinux.so.1 => not found
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0xf755f000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf7732000)

Effectively the shared library libselinux.so (that dpkg depends on) was missing. The solution was therefore to generate one and copy it inside the lib folder of the packagemanager. However, since those libraries are 32-bits and my computer is 64, I couldn't use directly the libselinux.so version in /lib/i386-linux-gnu/ (the standard one). I just copied the shared library on a 32-bit ubuntu version that I have installed on another computer and placed it in:  /petalinux/installation/folder/tools/packagemanager/lib

The file is attached here. A more beautiful solution (I think) would be to try generating one for a 32-bit version of your Ubuntu. 

Now it builds successfully the image! 

I hope this would help those in the same struggle. 

Xilinx Employee

I just put an Answer Record into the queue for publication on this as I got an answer from PetaLinux engineering about this.  To work around this properly requires a relatively small patch to the apt repository makefile.  Below is the ASCII contents of the patch:

diff --git a/components/packages-repo/Makefile  b/components/packages-repo/Makefile
index 2d90a90..e127b1b 100644
--- a/components/packages-repo/Makefile
+++ b/components/packages-repo/Makefile
@@ -73,7 +73,7 @@ TARGETROOT_APTROOT=$(BUILDROOT)/targetroot
TARGETROOT_APTROOT_CONF=$(TARGETDIR)/.targetroot.apt
TARGETROOT_APTCONFIG=$(TARGETROOT_APTROOT_CONF)/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/apt.conf

-FALSEPATH=$(APTPATH)/bin:$(PATH)
+FALSEPATH=$(APTPATH)/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
FALSELDPATH=$(APTPATH)/lib:$(APTPATH)/lib/libfakeroot

FAKEROOT=$(APTPATH)/bin/fakeroot
--

-------------------------------------------
this space intentionally left blank

Facing a similar problem, the builds were previously working just fine but now this nagging errror abruptly started happenning. The host is SUSE Linux 11 running on a Virtual Box machine, the relevant part of build.log is pasted below and the full log is attached.

Please note that the Makefile patch suggested at the end of this thread is not effective in this case at least. Any help will be appreciated!

[WARN ] dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
[ALL ] package architecture (armv7a-vfp-neon) does not match system (i386)
[ALL ] Preparing to replace update-alternatives-opkg 0.1.8+git0+c33b217016-r0 (using .../update-alternatives-opkg_0.1.8+git0+c33b217016-r0_armv7a-vfp-neon.deb) ...
[ALL ] Unpacking replacement update-alternatives-opkg ...
[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ALL ] /opt/pkg/petalinux-v2014.2-final/components/packages-repo/plnx-repo/pool/main/i/init-ifupdown/init-ifupdown_1.0-r7_armv7a-vfp-neon.deb
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /opt/pkg/petalinux-v2014.2-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ALL ] make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mahesh/target/bsp/Xilinx-ZC702-2014.2/build/linux/rootfs/packages-repo'
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
[ALL ] make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mahesh/target/bsp/Xilinx-ZC702-2014.2/build/linux/rootfs'
[ALL ] make: *** [sub_build_component_/none/rootfs/single/petalinux-rootfs] Error 2
[ALL ] make: Leaving directory `/home/mahesh/target/bsp/Xilinx-ZC702-2014.2/build/linux'