cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Absolute path in config file

I work in a team.  We use a Git repository to share content, and I have run into an issue with the file "project-spec/configs/config".  It contains an attribute "CONFIG_TMP_DIR_LOCATION" that is given an absolute path, which means my project cannot be shared with someone on another machine, as is.  So of course I have two questions:

1.  What problems should I expect if I change that to be a path relative to the root of the project?

2.  Does Xilinx not think of things like this on their own?  Oops, that might sound like a rant.  Sorry.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

And a related question: is components/plnx_workspace a directory that should be sharable among team members? Because it's chock full of absolute paths.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

one of the web masters will come up with a nice set of words soon

but in my experience, Vivado does not support version control at all well,

UNLESS

your running it from scripts, TCL is the answer to all these things,

its just a pain if you want the gui click and go environment though

Ask just about anyhting like htis, and the answer is  on lines of tye this into the tcl consol (each time )

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

At least you feel my pain. It's just a bit dicey to set up a repository for version control and backup. and not even be able to confirm on one's own computer that it's correctly back up. Sigh.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Probably late to answer this one and I don't know of a Xilinx way to do it, but figured I would show my solution.

Once our project is checked out we do the following in a script prior to build to solve this issue and another that arises if you don't check in the un-necessary ".petalinux" folder:

mkdir .petalinux
sed -i "s,^\(CONFIG_TMP_DIR_LOCATION=\).*,\1'/home/username/mypetaproject/build/tmp'," project-spec/configs/config

Hope it helps someone. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

@daryllee 

Sorry for promoting this post again after two years. I came across it while I had this problem and I found a solution that works for me.

After running:

petalinux-config

You can choose:

Yocto-Settings -> TMPDIR Location

and set a local directory like:

/tmp/petalinux-build

Doing so, every team members  create that directory. It won't be shared, but at least it will allow you to add petalinux's project to a version control system (like git) without hassle.

hope it helps

Brasilino

0 Kudos