cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Add packages to petalinux-conf menu in 2019.2

In prior versions, adding a package to the petalinux-config rootfs menu involved using a bbappend file for the petalinux-image package.

In 2019.2, that package is no longer used, replaced instead with the file meta-user/conf/user-rootfsconfig.

When creating a user layer, is there a way to auto-add all packages in the layer?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @jeffsimpson 

You can add user package to <plnx-proj>/projectspec/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf using IMAGE_INSTALL_append

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Thanks Shabbir,

I don't believe that will work for adding packages to the menu in a user layer. Editing <user-layer>/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf didn't do anything.

Do you know if there's a way to add packages to the menu when using a user layer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @jeffsimpson 

Yes in 2019.2, for example, if you want add iperf3 package, you have to write it to

project-spec/meta-user/conf/user-rootfsconfig, to appear that option in rootfs config

Example: echo 'CONFIG_iperf3' >> project-spec/meta-user/conf/user-rootfsconfig

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

That's how you would manually add a package to the menu by modifying the config in project-spec.

I want to know if it's possible to automatically add a package by modifying only the user layer (not in project-spec). In the previous version you could drop .bbappend files in the user layer. When I say "user layer" I don't mean meta-user, I mean a separate yocto recipe repository, completely separate location outside the petalinux project.

For context, I have a user layer in a git repository that contains a number of bitbake recipes (lets say like, 20). I want to be able to add that user layer to a petalinux project and have the packages in that user layer show up in the menu without having to manually type all of them in for each petalinux project I create.

I don't know that it's possible, which is why I'm asking. It sounds from your responses like it's not possible.

A hack/workaround could be a script that I keep in the user layer repository that performs that modification to the user-rootfsconfig file. Running that script would still be a manual step, but it would only need to be done once when adding the user layer (and manually repeated if the layer is updated).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hi

What is the name of .bbappend ?

It should be petalinux-user-image

And check whether the priority of your layer is higher than that of meta-user  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@hokim wrote:

Hi

What is the name of .bbappend ?

It should be petalinux-user-image

And check whether the priority of your layer is higher than that of meta-user  

I have tried petalinux-image.bbappend and petalinux-user-image.bbappend, neither enable packages to appear in the menu. To be perfectly clear - I am not looking to add packages to the root filesystem image directly. I am just trying to add them to the petalinux root filesystem MENU (petalinux-config -c rootfs).

Priority of my user layer (7) is higher than meta-user (6).

UG1144 v2019.2 states:

In earlier releases, to add new packages to rootfs, you had to edit the <plnx-proj-root>/
project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-image-
full.bbappend file. For example:
IMAGE_INSTALL_APPEND = "opencv"
From 2019.2 release onwards, you have to use the <plnx-proj-root>/project-spec/ meta-user/conf/user_rootfsconfig file to append new rootfs packages to PetaLinux images. For example:
CONFIG_opencv

I was previously using petalinux-image-full.bbappend files to add my packages to the menu. But as you can see in the quote above, that no longer works, since it uses the user_rootfsconfig file instead.

0 Kudos