cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Boot fail while following zcu106 + ubuntu desktop article in wiki

Jump to solution

The wiki article: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/148668419/Zynq+UltraScale+MPSoC+Ubuntu+VCU+Gstreamer+-+Building+and+Running+Ubuntu+Desktop+from+Sources

Environment:

Ubuntu 18.04.1

Vivado 2019.1 (Updated)

Petalinux 2019.1

When I try to use prebuilt image with SD Card, it fails with red LEDs (INIT_B and PS_ERR_OUT?, attached)

I built my SD card with Win32DiskImager

S__17522690.jpg

The serial output is:

```

Xilinx Zynq MP First Stage Boot Loader                                          
Release 2019.1   Jun 10 2019  -  09:24:58           // Every LED is green until here                           
Xilinx Zynq MP First S                                       // INIT_B and PS_ERR_OUT became red here
```

I thought there must be FPGA configuration step for HDMI and USB, but the wiki article doesn't have it and it only instructs to build linux image.
Is the article missing the step or I don't need to configure FPGA for linux work at all?
(So, the configuration step with hdf file do everything?)

I am trying to build the image myself now but not sure if it is the linux image problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Solution:

The new zcu106 I am using have different DRAM spec from older version.

Prebuilt image:

It doesn't work because it is built with different DRAM spec.

Following the article:

It doesn't work because it is configuring wrong DRAM spec during project.tcl. The design must be manually fixed.

The petalinux-package command is wrong. It must include bit file

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl images/linux/zynqmp_fsbl.elf --u-boot images/linux/u-boot.elf --pmufw images/linux/pmufw.elf --fpga images/linux/system.bit --force

Everything in this article is figured out by Jangsub, Makus engineer. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

HI @noob1e 

Can you please try with prebuilt images, which are present in "pre-built/linux/images/" path in petalinux project. This will help us to know is there any board issue or boot images issue.

Please download the BSP from this below link & follow below steps to create petalinux project :https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools/2019-2.html

petalinux-create --type project -s xilinx-zcu106-v2019.1-final.bsp

cd xilinx-zcu106-v2019.1

cd pre-built/linux/images/

Thanks & regards

Aravind

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @aravindb 

In conclusion, prebuilt images have no problem.

I did BIST test - successful.

I deployed prebuilt image using petalinux-boot --jtag - successful.

I deployed prebuilt linux image download from xilinx wiki with SD card - successful.

(I didn't tried the image in the petalinux subdirectory, but I believe this is same as the xilinx wiki one)

I also found other people experience similar problem.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/FPGA-Configuration/i-want-to-boot-Ubuntu-Desktop-on-ZCU106/td-p/1114895

This article shows almost same symptom I have.

I also tried boot image I built myself with the wiki article. But it also has same problem.

Do you have more advices?

Thank you a lot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Solution:

The new zcu106 I am using have different DRAM spec from older version.

Prebuilt image:

It doesn't work because it is built with different DRAM spec.

Following the article:

It doesn't work because it is configuring wrong DRAM spec during project.tcl. The design must be manually fixed.

The petalinux-package command is wrong. It must include bit file

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl images/linux/zynqmp_fsbl.elf --u-boot images/linux/u-boot.elf --pmufw images/linux/pmufw.elf --fpga images/linux/system.bit --force

Everything in this article is figured out by Jangsub, Makus engineer. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos