cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Booting from USB Petalinux 2016.3 with Boot.BIN from SD card.

Jump to solution

Hello All, 

We have a custom board, which all of its software and OS is based on Petalinux 2016.3. We were able to use an SD card to boot and OS uses ROOTFS located into the SD Card (i.e., sd card has two partitions, bootfs and rootfs). Suddenly, a strange problem took place using SD Boot. It reads BOOT.bin from the SD card and once wants to load the image.ub it shows the following message and switches to the u-boot command line, as it is shown below. 

photo_2020-04-30_19-31-31.jpg

I searched in forums, and I found that this timeout message may require a patch update for the u-boot sdhci driver, however since we use Petalinux and U-boot of 2016.3, entire project including many source codes are not consistent, which makes troubleshooting more time-consuming. So, we decided to choose an alternative boot mode, which is USB boot. We modify u-boot environment variables and change reading the image.ub from the USB instead of SD. As a result, it worked properly, in other words, the BOOT.bin file is read from the SD card, then the file image.ub is read from the USB pen-drive. We also modify the Petalinux Config where the rootfs is specified previously to /dev/mmpblk0p2 which represents the device name for the SD card, to the new device name which should represent the USB pen-drive and it is /dev/sda2. We applied this rootfs path also into the u-boot environment variables. 

Now, image.ub is read properly from the USB and while the kernel executes it is hanged up and shows the following message: 

waiting for root device /dev/sda2

photo_2020-04-30_19-41-41.jpg

Can anybody please help me? 

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

The problem is solved!

A strange thing happens here. When I use a USB hub, and then insert a normal USB pen-drive into the hub, and connect the USB hub into the USB connector of the board (connected to the USB0 port of PS Zynq) kernel recognize the Mass Storage! However, when I insert the same USB pen-drive directly into the USB connector, it is not recognizable by the kernel! 

However, the problem is solved. 

Thank you. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Adventurer
Adventurer

The problem is solved!

A strange thing happens here. When I use a USB hub, and then insert a normal USB pen-drive into the hub, and connect the USB hub into the USB connector of the board (connected to the USB0 port of PS Zynq) kernel recognize the Mass Storage! However, when I insert the same USB pen-drive directly into the USB connector, it is not recognizable by the kernel! 

However, the problem is solved. 

Thank you. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos