Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Comparison of RTOS and Petalinux for ZYNQ

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I guess it is possible to boot the ZYNQ with any operating system. We can boot the ZYNQ with RTOS and also with Petalinux. I am wondering which one is more easy to use and is less complex compared to the other ? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Yes, you can have just Petalinux in a VM and Vivado and SDK on the host. I used to do that, now I prefer another Vivado + SDK + Petalinux on VM, it's only hard disk... You must have matching releases so if using Petalinux 2018.3, you need Vivado and SDK 2018.3 on Windows as well. When you create and export your hdf in Vivado then you move it to your VM with shared clipboard, a shared folder or whatever means.

you can get better help if you open a new post for that different question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried upgrading the operating system of your spirit level?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

FreeRTOS (and similar OSes) is much, much easier than Linux. But they are not equivalent. Under Linux you can use almost any peripheral. Things like Ethernet or a PCIe peripheral cannot be interfaced (or in a limited way) with embedded RTOSes. Last but not least, Linux, like Windows, are not real-time OSes.

Whenever high-level functions (Ethernet, etc.) and real-time functions (robots, machines, etc) are needed to control things simultaneously, AMP (Asymmetric Multiprocessor) is typically used. Zynq MPSoC has a quad-core A-53 and a dual-core R-5. Linux is typically deployed on the A53 and any RTOS or bare-metal on the R5, so you have a proper OS in a proper core for each type of task.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @joancab

Then I guess the FreeRTOS does not occupy much space on the chip compared to Petalinux and would leave most of the resource management on the user. Can we include Ethernet and USB with FreeRTOS ? 

I am having ZYNQ 7z030 FFG 667 in my design. My requirements on the peripherals side include, USB host on ZYNQ, SD Card, Ethernet 1000 M, DDR3L, and QSPI Flash. Can you please advice which operating system would be suitable to these requirements ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Yes, FreeRTOS has ports to many MCUs with on-chip RAM so it uses fewer resources. But I won't expect the same performance than even a Petalinux.

I haven't used FreeRTOS for a while and never on FPGA processors. Now I just checked they have USB and Ethernet software stacks so it looks usable for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi @joancab ,

Thanks for your reply. I will check about FreeRTOS. 

Presently, I am struggling to run my first Petalinux program on ZYBO. I guess you have experience with Petalinux.  

I have installed Petalinux v2018.3 in Ubuntu 16.04 in virtual box but the Vivado SDK 2018.3 installation is in Windows 10. I am wondering if it is possible to share the "bit file" and "hdf file" with the virtual box and use these files to create Petalinux project in virtual machine. Would it work ? I am also wondering how to download Petalinux in ZYBO using JTAG from virtual machine ?  Can I use Vivado SDK installed in Windows 10 to download all required files of Petalinux in ZYBO using JTAG ? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Yes, you can have just Petalinux in a VM and Vivado and SDK on the host. I used to do that, now I prefer another Vivado + SDK + Petalinux on VM, it's only hard disk... You must have matching releases so if using Petalinux 2018.3, you need Vivado and SDK 2018.3 on Windows as well. When you create and export your hdf in Vivado then you move it to your VM with shared clipboard, a shared folder or whatever means.

you can get better help if you open a new post for that different question.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos