cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warloc
Visitor
Visitor

Confusion about relationship between petalinux and xilinx offical linux kernel

Hi...I'm new to  embeded system, and I got some questions during learning how to build a linux system for my ZC706 board. Questions are:

1.I can use petalinux to produce boot.bin & image.ub & rootfs.tar.gz file,and as far as i know, boot.bin is BootRom for the ARM system,but what is image.ub?a linux kernel file? And what is the rootfs.tar.gz, a root file system? 

2.I download the xilinx offical linux kernel from github/xilinx, what can i do with this? I know that i can build a linux kernel with this,but if i can get bootrom&linux kernel&rootfs from petalinux, what do i need this for?

3.i want to build a linux system running on my ZC706 board,with hdmi display output,if all my suspicion above is wrong,what should l learn?

I would be very grateful if some could answser my question~

0 Kudos
3 Replies
stephenm

The primary function of the bootrom is to know where to fetch the boot image. The bootrom is in OCM and cant be touched by the user. So, this is not handled by the petalinux. The petalinux uses yocto recipes to build (assuming a zc706) the fsbl, uboot, kernel, devicetree and the rootfs.

If you are unfamiliar with a recipe, then think of it as a list of tasks that need to be completed to create a specific application. So, for example take the devicetree from example. The tasks to build this would be:

• Source the HDF file (This is created in Vivado when you export to SDK)
  • source the hsi tool from SDK (SDK is delviered with Petalinux)
  • Use the HSI tool to build the DTS
  • Add any overlays
  • Source the DTC
  • Compile the DTS into a DTB

For the kernel it will do the following:

• source the kernel
  • Config the kernel
  • Build Kernel
  • create bootable image (mkimage)
  • create fit image

Note: I may have left some task out there, but you get the idea what the Petalinux is trying to achieve.

So, you can use the Petalinux here (Advisable for new users), or you can do all this manually of course. 

There is a wiki page for each component, fsbl, uboot, kernel, ... that you can use. 

For example, you can take the kernel from github

This will compile the kernel. You would then need to use the uboot to copy this into DDR, and 

then boot the kernel (bootm). 

I would recommend that you install and use the BSP for the ZC706 as this has support for the HDMI

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

petalinux-create -t project -s <path to bsp>

0 Kudos
warloc
Visitor
Visitor

I mistake uboot with bootrom, sorry for that.

Following your lead, I'm reading the http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PetaLinux to learn more about petalinux,thanks for your detailed reply, 

0 Kudos
stephenm

0 Kudos