UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jmagno
Visitor

Documentation for building U-Boot for custom ZYNQ board.

Is there documentation anywhere describing the necessary modifications to rebuild U-boot for a custom ZYNQ board?  I've tried downloading ZC70x-based U-boot using XMD, but it doesn't want to run on my board (which has quite a few differences from the ZC702).

Do I modify a .h file (or several) based on my xparameters.h from SDK?  Although the Wiki has detailed instructions for Microblaze designs, it has sparse instructions for ZYNQ.  Basically it says to "make" U-Boot based on configurations of specific boards, such as the zc70x.  I don't know how my board's configuration (MIO and EMIO placement) affects U-Boot, if at all.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar sampatd
Scholar

Re: Documentation for building U-Boot for custom ZYNQ board.

Hi, 

Please check the following webpage:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/U-boot

Regards,

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to build u-boot for my own custom Zynq board, and I experienced the same issue.

Did you find any clue?

Thanks.

Fred

0 Kudos
Participant btsavage
Participant

We are attempting the same thing here with no success.  Are there any instructions/documentation that explain this process?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You're right there's not docs for how to modify the u-boot for a custom board. In general I think it's assumed that if you know u-boot then it's the same as any other board, but a wiki page with more info would be helpful.

Generally board differences will be the amount of memory, the UART, etc. and a lot of that stuff is tuned in the u-boot configuration files for Zynq (include/configs/*zynq*). You can see some deltas in there between the Zed board and the other board. Generally it should only be a configuration and build issue (hopefully).

With the newer releases of u-boot (2015.3 and newer) some of the configuration is done with device tree also but I haven't gone thru all that in detail. So be cautious there.

Thanks
John
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Look at this link instead: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build+U-Boot

the relevant line is:
make zynq_zc70x_config

what you need to do is what zynq_zc70x_config has in it and make a custom config file. Also there is a way to get u-boot makefile to generate a list of board files, can't remember exactly how. Then you can copy the relevant board file to a different name and customize it according to your board's needs. It's not that complicated.

In my case the only changes I can remember were important were which uart was the debug uart and which sd was the boot sd. Other than that, more or less the default zynq u-boot worked.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos