cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Documentation for building U-Boot for custom ZYNQ board.

Is there documentation anywhere describing the necessary modifications to rebuild U-boot for a custom ZYNQ board?  I've tried downloading ZC70x-based U-boot using XMD, but it doesn't want to run on my board (which has quite a few differences from the ZC702).

Do I modify a .h file (or several) based on my xparameters.h from SDK?  Although the Wiki has detailed instructions for Microblaze designs, it has sparse instructions for ZYNQ.  Basically it says to "make" U-Boot based on configurations of specific boards, such as the zc70x.  I don't know how my board's configuration (MIO and EMIO placement) affects U-Boot, if at all.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Documentation for building U-Boot for custom ZYNQ board.

Hi, 

Please check the following webpage:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/U-boot

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to build u-boot for my own custom Zynq board, and I experienced the same issue.

Did you find any clue?

Thanks.

Fred

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

We are attempting the same thing here with no success.  Are there any instructions/documentation that explain this process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You're right there's not docs for how to modify the u-boot for a custom board. In general I think it's assumed that if you know u-boot then it's the same as any other board, but a wiki page with more info would be helpful.

Generally board differences will be the amount of memory, the UART, etc. and a lot of that stuff is tuned in the u-boot configuration files for Zynq (include/configs/*zynq*). You can see some deltas in there between the Zed board and the other board. Generally it should only be a configuration and build issue (hopefully).

With the newer releases of u-boot (2015.3 and newer) some of the configuration is done with device tree also but I haven't gone thru all that in detail. So be cautious there.

Thanks
John
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Look at this link instead: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build+U-Boot

the relevant line is:
make zynq_zc70x_config

what you need to do is what zynq_zc70x_config has in it and make a custom config file. Also there is a way to get u-boot makefile to generate a list of board files, can't remember exactly how. Then you can copy the relevant board file to a different name and customize it according to your board's needs. It's not that complicated.

In my case the only changes I can remember were important were which uart was the debug uart and which sd was the boot sd. Other than that, more or less the default zynq u-boot worked.
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos