UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor martind1983
Visitor

[ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hello everybody

I have the problem which was already mentioned for older versions of PetaLinux tools which error by building kernel image.

I use linux ubuntu 14.04 LTS and PetaLinux 2015.2, I successfully created my target project "Tutorial_design", I acquired .hdf from exported from Vivado 2015.2 to my target project and configured project components in like kernel, rootfs...

When I want to build my kernel image I always get error

martin@martin-HP:~/NOC_research/PetaLinux/Avnet-Digilent-ZedBoard-2015.2/projects/Tutorial_design$ petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
INFO: Building linux
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/fwupgrade
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/peekpoke
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/uWeb
[INFO ] build linux/kernel
[INFO ] update linux/u-boot source
[INFO ] generate linux/u-boot configuration files
[INFO ] build linux/u-boot
[INFO ] build zynq_fsbl
[INFO ] Expanding stagefs
[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux

I already tried several tips from very similar threads. For example I tried to run it at least 3 times in turn if it does not change at third time but the result is the same ERROR.

I tried to add path to PetaLinux's debian package manager "dpkg" as I know that Ubuntu uses the same and it could cause theses errors but error still persists.

I even modified Petalinux sourcing script "settings.sh" used to source Petalinux tools and put path to PetaLinux dpkg to it.  You can it is included in my PATH variable after starting

~/NOC_research/PetaLinux/Avnet-Digilent-ZedBoard-2015.2/projects/Tutorial_design$echo $PATH

/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/petalinux/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/common/petalinux/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/microblaze-xilinx-elf/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/microblazeel-xilinx-linux-gnu/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/arm-xilinx-gnueabi/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/aarch64-none-elf/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/linux-i386/aarch64-linux-gnu/bin:/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/usr/local/programming

and also "which" command shows me that it should use dpkg in PetaLinux path

martin@martin-HP:~/NOC_research/PetaLinux/Avnet-Digilent-ZedBoard-2015.2/projects/Tutorial_design$ which dpkg

/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg

I do not even miss any libraries to run it  as some users in previous threads

ldd ~/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg
    linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007ffc00bd1000)
    libselinux.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libselinux.so.1 (0x00007ffa1ef89000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007ffa1ebc4000)
    libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007ffa1e986000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007ffa1e782000)
    /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007ffa1f1ac000)

and also links are linked to correct version of libraries as this dpkg is 64bit version

file ~/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg
/home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg: ELF 64-bit LSB  executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.18, BuildID[sha1]=66e5f985c504f4afa8dfd593d59544769b99cf05, not stripped

but the aforementioned problem  still persists. I did not try this PATCH

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/2014-2-Image-Build-Processes-Error/m-p/510837#M10350

1. I do not thing it would help

2. I do not know where exactly I should patch it or write.

Thank you very much for help and advices

Br    Martin :)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: [ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

@martind1983

Can you check the below  answer record and install 32-bit libraries required?

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/63034.html

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor martind1983
Visitor

Re: [ERROR] E: Sub-process /home/martin/petalinux-v2015.2.1-final/tools/packagemanager/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Hi achutha

This is not good solution I have already met this solution this is missing 32-bit library and that is not my problem as  Petalinux 2015.2 is supports 64-bit completely I mean so, and I already tried your proposed solution without success.

However, I found out important probably bugy thing. When, after feetching my hdf file by tool "petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p <my_hw_description_file> I only configure system config what automatically shows up and then I build solution by "petalinux-build" everything is built fine and I get my "images" folder with all necessary files to boot system.

However, when I configure also kernel and rootfs by means of "petalinux-config -c kernel" and "petalinux-config -c rootfs" and I am going to build solution, then I get that error I specified before.

root@martin-HP:/home/martin/NOC_research/PetaLinux/tutorial_design/images/linux# petalinux-build
INFO: Checking component...
INFO: Generating make files and build linux
INFO: Generating make files for the subcomponents of linux
INFO: Building linux
[INFO ] Cleaning packages
[INFO ] clean linux/rootfs/fwupgrade
[INFO ] clean linux/rootfs/peekpoke
[INFO ] clean linux/rootfs/uWeb
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/fwupgrade
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/peekpoke
[INFO ] pre-build linux/rootfs/uWeb
[INFO ] build system.dtb
[INFO ] build linux/kernel
[INFO ] update linux/u-boot source
[INFO ] generate linux/u-boot configuration files
[INFO ] build linux/u-boot
[INFO ] build zynq_fsbl
[INFO ] Setting up stage config
[INFO ] Setting up rootfs config
[INFO ] Updating for cortexa9-vfp-neon
[INFO ] Updating package manager
[INFO ] Expanding stagefs
[ERROR] Errors were encountered while processing:
[ERROR] make[2]: *** [.pkg_stagefs] Error 255
[ERROR] make[1]: *** [sub_build_component_/none/packages-repo/single/plnx-repo] Error 2
ERROR: Failed to build linux
root@martin-HP:/home/martin/NOC_research/PetaLinux/tutorial_design/images/linux#

Mainly in rootfs I add a lot of libraries and utilities which I will use in embedded linux. Maybe I do not know "dpkg" after that must do something and it is corrupted therefore that error.

Thank you for help :)                                      

Br Martin

0 Kudos