UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kleber
Visitor

Easiest way to move data from ARM to the PL using Zynq

I'm getting started on a new project where we have to move data from the ARM processor to the PL at a rate of approximately 10-20 MB/s.  Is there an easy way to do this without having to write a device driver?  I'm hoping that Xilinx provides some sort of AXI driver that allows easy data movement from user space without having to get my hands dirty in the kernel.

If kernel development is required, what is the recommended method for development on the Zynq?  I have done desktop driver applications in the past, but how does one compile and test on the arm platform?  I noticed petalinux does not include gcc in the booted OS.  Do I really have to re-build the OS image and re-boot every time I want to test a change of one line of code in my application/driver?

Thanks for the help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Easiest way to move data from ARM to the PL using Zynq

I'd recommend having a look at some of the early versions of the ZC702 Base TRD. It utilized a userspace driver for the AXI VDMA that made IOCTL calls to access the hardware
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Actually, the AXI DMAs already have some drivers in GIT
https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/tree/3f7c2d54957e950b3a36a251578185bfd374562c/drivers/dma/xilinx
www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Visitor kleber
Visitor

Thanks for the information. I will look into using those drivers.  

Regarding development, is there an easy way to get the compiler tools installed in the petalinux image so I can make changes and recompile in place?  This could also be handy for application development.

Kyle

0 Kudos