Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Enclustra Mars XU3 on EB1 with PetaLinux

Hello,

i want to run the OpenAMP Demo, as referred in UG1186 (Linux on A53 and Bare Metal on R5) on the Enclustra Mars XU3 board mounted on the EB1 base board.

But at first step by step.

What actually works, is to build and run the Linux provided by Enclustra https://github.com/enclustra-bsp/bsp-xilinx by booting form a SD Card.

My next step, i am actually stuck at, is to run a simple HelloWorld application on the linux build with enclustra tool.

I loaded a simple "HelloWorld.elf" file (build in SDK, C, Linux Application) into the rootfs under /bin but i couldn't find this file inside the embedded Linux. I removed the file extension and made it executable but this didn't help yet.

Nevertheless i think this problem is not important because i probably need to work with the petalinux tool because for the openAMP Demo. I need to change the device tree and i found no way to change the devicetree with the enclustra linux tool.

So i created a new petalinux project and specified the .hdf file from the enclustra reference design and built the project. But i couldn't run the linux on the board.

My question is, what is the simplest way to get the openAMP Demo running on the enclusta board?

Is it easier to use the linux provided by enclustra tool and change the devicetree (i have no idea how to do that) and build the openAMP Demo on SDK an load it onto the SD Card in the rootfs?

Or to use the petalinux tool and specifiy the openAMP Demo in the petalinux configuration (but i couldn't get a running linux build with petalinux tool yet)?

Sorry for that newbie question, but i am stock now for a few weeks and i have no idea how to continue.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Participant
Participant

Re: Enclustra Mars XU3 on EB1 with PetaLinux

Hi @maerkl24 ,
Did you get petalinux working on the XU3? I have an XU5 and there are no help materials to do this.

Thanks

Bade

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hey @badegoke_f1,

no, I couldn't get it working on the XU3, but I didn't try much because we changed the manufacturer.
But I'm sure it's possible to create a custom Linux for the Enclustra Boards, because they are doing the same. 

Useful documentes are:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug1209-embedded-design-tutorial.pdf (pp. 14 - 19): Shows how to create a basic Vivado Design (the tutorial is for the Xilinx ZCU102 Board, but it's the same for any other board, except that you have to fill in some config manually, but i think there is a Vivado reference design from Enclustra)
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2019_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf (pp. 20 -21): Shows how to create a empty PetaLinux project. (pp. 23 - 24) Shows how to import the hardware description form Vivado.

I think you also have to modify the Device-Tree (system-user.dtsi). I think you will find the required information somewhere in the Enclustra Build Tool, because there are also some source files for the building of the embedded Linux. 

I hope this will help you.
Tell me if you got it working. ;-)

Kilian

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi @maerkl24 ,

I was able to get the XU5 and PE1+ carrier working with petalinux booting from SDcard. I had to modify the device-tree and use petalinux-config to configure the sd_port used as well as change the boot image configuration.
I also noticed my clocks for my PL side IPs had to be up and running before boot otherwise it stalls.

Thanks 

Bade

0 Kudos