cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ethernet support in Linux running on PPC440(virtex5)

Hello sir,

I successfully added Ethernet , but how can I load my application on board using ethernet, I laso go through the XAPP1026  but  my  RFS asking for passwd , I taken Ramdisk.image from Xilinx wiki , Plz help me how can I load my application on Target board.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Add the application files to your ramdisk

2. mount an NFS volume and access the file over the network

3. TFTP/FTP to/from the target system.

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sorry sir , I have not explained that I made linux image and running on powerpc,after running Root:> prompt comes there I assigned IPCONFIGURATION to board and connect it to windows system (Hyperterminal).Both are connected(Borad) and PC.LAN connection is established.

Ya I already done run my application on Linux running on powerpc but I made LINUX IMAGE with RFS(ramdisk.image) , copy my application in ramdisk then recompile linux and running it.

But I want that through ethernet the application should transfer to ramdisk from outside.

Plz help me hw can I do this.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

please see points 2 and 3 above.

Terry

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello sir,

I tried a lot I m not able to mount also.Actually I included the ntfs,nfs file system support while configuring the kernel , but

root:>fdisk -l | grep ntfs

fdisk not found

Plz help me how can i remove this.Ya know we can mount windows partition in linux but sir linux is running on hyperterminal (ported) totally confusions.Plz help me to sort out this problem, I will be very thankful to u.

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Also this thing I alreday done,I add application in ramdisk and run that.But for that I can run only that application.My requierment is to run any application , cross-compiled it on linux and transfer it on target linux.Thanks sir.

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello sir,Now I m able to transfer my application though Ethernet usimg ftp.But whatever application I m executing their dont run.

I made small helloworld program, crosscompile it and then then copy it to c:/ drive as Im using windows hyperterminal.

Nw I can view my exe program in linux.But when i tried to execute it its not running.It showing error like.ERROR:  program can`t execute.

Plz help me to sove this.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, I really can't follow what you're trying to do.  You need to cross compile in the same environment where you built your kernel. You will need to start by specifying -static  to simplify things, then add libraries later as necessary to reduce program size.

I don't know what you're trying to say when you say "I'm using windows hyperterminal" - this is irrelevant..  Do you have a Linux environment to use for your development, or are you trying to do all of this under windows.

Terry

0 Kudos
ritanagar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thanks sir for your response.

I m working only with RHEL5 with xilinx12.2 with use ethernet to get the licience from server , I m making image by cross compiler with ELDK .Actually in my PC I dont have UART port , so I cant use the minicom to see the output of my linux image.Using Xmd I m downloading my LINUX IMAGE for the target Board Virtex440-ml507.I am just connecting my rs232 with windowsxp so that I can use hyperterminal to see the result.

Problem is that I want to run any application on linux run on FPGA.So previously I put the application in ramdisk.image (RFS) and remake linux image, and when I load that image I can see my application where I put my file.It ran easily.But From this way every time I have to uncompress the ramdisk image, put the cross-compiled application and make the linux image again.

I want that any application I can run on this linux.Some of my known is working with ARM so he can crosscompile his C application on his federo system and copy that application in pendrive and plug it in ARM usb port.There he copy that in ramdisk and run that application , using Ethernet also (ftp) can also transfer file to board.

I add ethernet to transfer my file.From pc directly Im downloading my image to FPGA .So I cant transfer any other file using xmd that time.So thats y I added Ethernet.

Yes I m executing my application in the same way as u said.In hello folder hello.c program is there.

<!-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

[root@localhost hello]# source /cad/eldk/eldk_init ppc_4xx

[root@localhost hello]# export ARCH=powerpc

[root@localhost hello]#ppc_4xx-gcc –static hello.c –o hello

But its not executing on target Board where linux is running when transfer from ethernet.I am connecting ethernet cable also to Xp system.

Hope I m able to explain.......................Plz reply

0 Kudos