cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant
Participant

Getting Started

I have a ML605.  It shipped with some demos, and the ISE/EDK tools.  It doesn't have the source for the included demos.  This leaves me with the problem of getting linux running in an EDK project. 

Is there any documentation on how to start such a project?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Participant
Participant

Specifically, I have seen the wikidot page suggested.  What should I be looking for?

Embeded Linux seems to describe specific problems and app notes.

On the microblaze linux, what does "in xmd" mean?  Is Xmd part of EDK, something that runs in microblaze, or something else?

What physical setup is needed?  serial connection?  jtag?  ethernet?  Having no experience with XMD, I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

0 Kudos

Hello there,

"xmd" is a command line tool that runs, for instance, from the Linux terminal or from inside XPS. if you just gougle "xilinx xmd" this is what you get:

http://www.xilinx.com/itp/xilinx10/help/platform_studio/ps_c_dbg_using_xmd.htm

regarding how to proceed with Linux an Micorblaze, I guess somebody else can provide better information.

Regards,

Fabrizio

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

First let me say that it is a matter of perspective, in my opinion it is not a matter of "getting Linux to run in EDK" but rather of "getting EDK to run in Linux". This is more than semantics it is an entire philosphy that could make your journey a pleasureable rewarding adventure or a trip into hell.

My first suggestion is that you really need to get a perspective on the overall problem. Get a copy of "Pro Linux Embedded Systems" by Gene Sally, APress. I've just about every embedded book on Linux ever written in my library, I think it's the best to date.

Second, go by a "Beagle Board", learn how to use it, program it, and marvel at the absolute wonder of Eclipse "XIL_SDK".

After you've learned how it's all supposed to work, then you'll be ready to run with the big dogs. BTW, I'm not one of them,I'm more like a little miniature Rat Terrier:)

More to the point Linux does not run within EDK. You compile a hardware processor consisting of I/O that you define along with a processor (PowerPC, Microblaze, et.al) in EDK, I've never used the ISE method, and then pass the "Hardware Image" over to the Linux side. WIth the PowerPC a "device tree" is used. That's the hard part!!! Once the hardware definition has been successfully represented within the Linux compiler it's all down hill. Until that point, you have to be really, really careful to advance your code development in such a way that you can easily isolate what doesn't work. It's real easy to get off the path here, test your code frequently, and write scripts for every task, it will save your sanity. If you're going to include networking, absolutely, under no circumstances, should you start with the LLTEMAC - what a nightmare! Stick with  Ethernet LIte.

And, lastly, good luck! Have fun and try not to work over 80 hrs/week!

0 Kudos