UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add vivado SDK applications(ex : lwip echo server ) to petalinux projects ?

Hello ,

I just have a few questions regarding how to add vivado SDK applications to the petalinux projects flow (i.e. into the recipe-apps folder which is created during the project build up).path in my computer </home/xenoverze/petalinux_projects/ethernet/project-spec/meta-user>

1.Is it possible to add SDK applications ? if its possible please suggest the procedure . 

2.Is it possible to generate the petalinux applications in the vivado SDK? . I have tried it by selecting the linux as the OS while creating the application and selecting the tool chain from the petalinux installation path </home/xenoverze/petalinux_files/tools/linux-i386/gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi> this is the path in my pc. but as you can see in the picture it gives unresolved inclusion.should i have to refer to any other tool chain ?..or is it not possible to generate the apps in this way?.             

Screenshot from 2018-02-21 12-40-36.png

3.what should be the path for "Linux sysroot path " in petalinux 2017.4

please suggest any solutions regarding this issue ..Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: How to add vivado SDK applications(ex : lwip echo server ) to petalinux projects ?

Yes, i think its the easiest way. Just make an application project in sdk and chhose linux as os. You have to add the include path of the headers for your toolchain (burried in the sdk install folder, along with precompiled libs for the linker). (in sdk under project properties, c++)

2) you can add the apps built that way when building petalinux to the rootfs of your petalinux. The instruction for that is very detailed in the petalinux reference manual
0 Kudos

Re: How to add vivado SDK applications(ex : lwip echo server ) to petalinux projects ?

here are the include paths

include.PNG
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I would suggest you do not try to do this. Forget the SDK and do it in the terminal. I find the SDK unreliable for Linux app development. For starters, you will need to point the sysroot to the sysroots directory of the tmp_dir of your PetaLinux project every time you make a new application. And even if this works, l cannot speak to any other possible bugs in newer versions. To put it into perspective, for the most basic Yocto project (PetaLinux is a fairly complicated Yocto project), I cannot even get basic Eclipse linked to it, so to hope the multifaceted Xilinx SDK Eclipse-based IDE will link to it probably isn't realistic (sorry Xilinx).

Learn about Yocto and let PetaLinux tools and Yocto automate the build process for you. It is more complicated than plugging the sysroot into the SDK, but I think its more portable and full proof. It will help you learn more in the long run.

I would also suggest you look at the Yocto basic tutorial. http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.0/yocto-project-qs/yocto-project-qs.html

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I haven't gotten this to work either. "This" being defined as taking a SDK project and putting it into project-spec/meta-user and being able to compile and deploy with petalinux.

I have no idea how one could use the SDK for development and then push code changes into petalinux so that a build server could create automatic builds and then regression test.   The tools are completely disparate and I'm about to punt on the Xilinx SDK completely and use Eclipse+Yocto instead. From what I understand I could just do a autoconf Project in Eclipse+Yocto and have petalinux use that.  I really wish that the Eclipse SDK could create an autoconf project so I wouldn't have to bother.

The only thing I am seeing is two completely different Makefile projects and a hand written BitBake recipie in meta-user that would have to be modified if any files are added or subtracted.

0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

Sorry for late reply, I have included the path which you have specified .but the problem is not resolved.please check the below screenshot for further details and suggest me any solutions

I will check into the documentation about working with yocto project ,Thank you for suggestion.

j.pngdirectories

0 Kudos

For debugging apps on the kernel, please see the AR below:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69159.htmlv

0 Kudos