Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhon
Participant
Participant

How to change timezone in petalinux?

Jump to solution

Dear all:

How to change the default timezone in petalinux 2018.2? I can't find /etc/timezone, /etc/localtime, the system time is in UTC.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

The setting about tzdata is correct.

I suspect your built image

After doing petalinux-build, check images/linux/rootfs.tar.gz

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ tar xvzf ../images/linux/rootfs.tar.gz
$ cat etc/timezone
Asia/Seoul
$ ls -l etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hokim hokim 30  1월 25 20:24 etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Seoul

I figured out why timezon is not changed

It  is due to your warning

WARNING: The tzdata:do_install sig is computed to be aaf9bd3c2cfef153468847d94347e4e7, but the sig is locked to 4aafb230f32f002ac18be13e505783ea in SIGGEN_LOCKEDSIGS_t-allarch

Add the following to <petalinux-project>/project-spec/meta-user/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf

SIGGEN_UNLOCKED_RECIPES += "tzdata"

It will remove the warning and update tzdata correctly

Refer to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf p. 71

View solution in original post

10 Replies
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

Hi

<petalinux-project>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend 

DEFAULT_TIMEZONE = "Asia/Seoul"

<petalinux-project>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-user-image.bbappend 

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " tzdata"

Then petalinux-build

jhon
Participant
Participant

Seems not work, I enabled the rootfs config option:

Filesystem Packages -> base -> tzdata ->tzdata and tzdata-asia

and followed your post, after build, I find in the rootfs.tar.gz (I've not burn the flash), the file /etc/localtime is zero sized, and /etc/timezone has: "America/Los_Angeles" in it.

The building log is as follows (there are 2 warnings):

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
Loading cache: 100% |############################################| Time: 0:00:03
Loaded 3426 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |##########################################| Time: 0:00:27
Parsing of 2554 .bb files complete (2519 cached, 35 parsed). 3427 targets, 148 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |#######################################| Time: 0:00:34
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |###############| Time: 0:00:01
WARNING: The tzdata:do_install sig is computed to be aaf9bd3c2cfef153468847d94347e4e7, but the sig is locked to 4aafb230f32f002ac18be13e505783ea in SIGGEN_LOCKEDSIGS_t-allarch
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
WARNING: petalinux-user-image-1.0-r0 do_rootfs: [log_check] petalinux-user-image: found 1 warning message in the logfile:
[log_check] warning: %post(sysvinit-inittab-2.88dsf-r10.plnx_zynq7) scriptlet failed, exit status 1

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 3017 tasks of which 2999 didn't need to be rerun and all succeeded.

Summary: There were 2 WARNING messages shown.
INFO: Copying Images from deploy to images
NOTE: Successfully copied built images to tftp dir:  /tftpboot
[INFO] successfully built project
user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$

I checked the file:

<petalinux install dir>/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/core/meta/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_2017c.bb

there is a line:

DEFAULT_TIMEZONE ?= "Universal"

I guess you want to change this variable, but it seems not work. The assignment is "?=", means if not assigned, then assign to "Universal", if assigned, then keep the old one. Does this "?=" prevent the replacement of the new default timezone?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

Probably you forgot to do this

$ vi <petalinux-project>/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend 
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE = "<your timezone>"

"America/Los_Angeles" is timezone overriden by 

<petalinux install dir>/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/meta-petalinux/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend

You can override it again with your bbappend file.

DEFAULT_TIMEZONE ?= "Universal"

means if DEFAULT_TIMEZONE is not set  previousely, DEFAULT_TIMEZONE is set to "Universal"

DEFAULT_TIMEZONE is changed like the following

Universal -> (if tzdata is installed) America/Los_Angeles -> (if there exists your bbappend)<your timezone>

If you add your bbappend file like the above, finally DEFAULT_TIME becomes <your timezone>

jhon
Participant
Participant

hi hokim, thanks for your quick reply, but I did as you wrote in your post:

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ cat ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-user-image.bbappend
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " tzdata"
user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ cat ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend 
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE = "Asia/Shanghai"

in the folder "project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/", there is a file "petalinux-image.bbappend", where user applications are listed:

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ cat ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/petalinux-image.bbappend
#Note: Mention Each package in individual line
#      cascaded representation with line breaks are not valid in this file.
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " peekpoke"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " gpio-demo"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " can-utils"
IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " myconf"

First I added the " tzdata" line in this file, but not work. Then I noticed the file name shuold be "petalinux-user-image.bbappend", so I created one, and add the tzdata line, but still not works.

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ ls ./project-spec/meta-user/recipes-core/images/
petalinux-image.bbappend  petalinux-user-image.bbappend

0 Kudos
jhon
Participant
Participant

I noticed that, after config -c rootfs, there is a file "petalinux-user-image.bb" created: 

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ petalinux-config -c rootfs
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
[INFO] generating machine configuration
[INFO] configuring: rootfs
[INFO] generating kconfig for Rootfs
[INFO] menuconfig rootfs

*** End of the configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to start the build or try 'make help'.

[INFO] generating petalinux-user-image.bb
[INFO] successfully configured rootfs

so I checeked this file, and find "tzdata" and "tzdata-asia" have already listed (because I selected them in "Filesystem Packages -> base -> tzdata"):

user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ find -name petalinux-user-image.bb
./project-spec/meta-plnx-generated/recipes-core/images/petalinux-user-image.bb user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$ cat ./project-spec/meta-plnx-generated/recipes-core/images/petalinux-user-image.bb DESCRIPTION = "PETALINUX image definition for Xilinx boards" LICENSE = "MIT" require recipes-core/images/petalinux-image-common.inc inherit extrausers IMAGE_LINGUAS = " " IMAGE_INSTALL = "\ kernel-modules \ i2c-tools \ mtd-utils \ tzdata \ tzdata-asia \ openssh-sftp-server \ pciutils \ run-postinsts \ udev-extraconf \ packagegroup-core-boot \ packagegroup-core-ssh-dropbear \ tcf-agent \ bridge-utils \ myconf \ can-utils \ " EXTRA_USERS_PARAMS = "usermod -P root root;" user@ubuntu:~/zynq-rec$

So I think I don't need the file petalinux-user-image.bbappend, I removed it, and the build result has no change.

In the generated rootfs.tar.gz, the content of /etc/timezone is still "America/Los_Angeles"

0 Kudos
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

Could you show the result of the followings ?

$ petalinux-build -c "-e tzdata" | grep ^DEFAULT_TIMEZONE=
$ petalinux-build -c "-e tzdata" | grep ^BBINCLUDED=
0 Kudos
jhon
Participant
Participant

The first command output is:

DEFAULT_TIMEZONE="Asia/Shanghai"

The 2nd output is very long, I attached it as log.txt

0 Kudos
jhon
Participant
Participant

I checked the log.txt, and find 2 lines with "tzdata_%.bbappend"

/home/uesr/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-petalinux/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend
/home/uesr/zynq-rec/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend

the first one has one line inside:

user@ubuntu:~$ cat petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-petalinux/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE  = "America/Los_Angeles"
user@ubuntu:~$ 

the 2nd is mine:

user@ubuntu:~$ cat zynq-rec/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-extended/tzdata/tzdata_%.bbappend
DEFAULT_TIMEZONE = "Asia/Shanghai"
uesr@ubuntu:~$ 
0 Kudos
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

The setting about tzdata is correct.

I suspect your built image

After doing petalinux-build, check images/linux/rootfs.tar.gz

$ mkdir tmp
$ cd tmp
$ tar xvzf ../images/linux/rootfs.tar.gz
$ cat etc/timezone
Asia/Seoul
$ ls -l etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 hokim hokim 30  1월 25 20:24 etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Seoul

I figured out why timezon is not changed

It  is due to your warning

Add the following to <petalinux-project>/project-spec/meta-user/conf/petalinuxbsp.conf

SIGGEN_UNLOCKED_RECIPES += "tzdata"

It will remove the warning and update tzdata correctly

Refer to https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2018_2/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf p. 71

View solution in original post

jhon
Participant
Participant

It finally works!

Thank you very much for your patient and kind guidance. Without your help, I think I'll be stuck with it for weeks.
0 Kudos