Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mechaick
Visitor
Visitor

Installing Linux on Zybo

Greetings,

You might have already seen me, and I'm still trying to install a linux on the zybo board. (It's the first time I do something like this)

I've completly followed this tutorial (https://github.com/SDU-Embedded/linux_zynq/wiki/Installing-Linux-on-the-ZYBO) but nothing happened.

It was a bit tricky because a lot of the instruction weren't good since it is a bit old or too vague for someone who doesn't know the platform.

All the part about the device tree blob was really different.

So do you know any tutorial up to date to do this ?

Many thanks 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sabankocal
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @Mechaick ,

If you are new in Xilinx/Petalinux world. First thing you need to know is: You need to use always exact same versions while you follow instructions from a web site/wiki/git...

And you need to give extra informations about your Tool and Operating System versions, so that people can help you easier/quicker.

Regards,

Saban

If you helpful for you, you should give Kudo.   

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->
0 Kudos
Mechaick
Visitor
Visitor

Hum I see, well how can I install an older version of vivado ?

Also I can work on three different systems, my computer : a windows 10, a remote computer Ubuntu 20 and an Ubuntu 16 VM.

I did all the commands on the vm but the graphic part was realised on the windows 10. All the computer uses vivado 2019.2.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sabankocal
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @Mechaick ,

I can recommend to work on Ubuntu 16.04 for Xilinx development. Your link and I use this version.

After 2019 Vivado made major changing and there are a lot of problems about instructions that are based on older versions.

That's why I recommend to use 2018.2 . I'm using it without any problem.

You can download it from this link. You can find this download link on this page. "Vivado HLx 2018.2: WebPACK and Editions - Linux Self Extracting Web Installer (BIN - 99.45 MB)"

Regards

Saban

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

if(solves_problem) mark_as_solution <= 1 else if(helpful) Kudo <= Kudo + 1

<--- If reply is helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question --->
Mechaick
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I re-followed each step of the tutorial, but when I try to connect to the Zybo (sudo minicom -D /dev/ttyUSB2), nothing shows up.

Do you have any idea of what could be the source of the problem ?

All the files where produced on a ubuntu 16 VM using vivado 2018.2 and the Board is linked to an Ubuntu 20.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
sabankocal
Voyager
Voyager

Hi @Mechaick ,

First thing you can do:

You can list all of your tty devices( ls -l /dev/ttyUSB* ) or you can execute "dmesg" command and look last lines of output, before and after connecting your board to your PC and you can be sure 

- Really you have a new tty device

- It's name really correct as "/dev/ttyUSB2"

Second thing you can do:

If your board has a led, that indicates FPGA firmware installed or not, you can double check it and you can be sure your firmware properly installed.

Third thing you can do:

You can add an ILA ip core to your design and after reboot you can check your signal runs properly.

Fourth thing you can do:

You need to be sure about your board properly configured as SD mode. Most probably your board has some switches, jumpers to configure it as SD Card mode.

Best way to be sure about really you configured your board as SD Card mode:

If you can find a prebuild image(BOOT.BIN and image.ub files) from somewhere, you can easily install it. After that you can be sure about your configuration.

Fifth:

If prebuild image not works for you, it means:

• You can not configure your board as SD Card mode
  • Or your SD Card/Partitions is not created properly. 

Saban

<------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

if(solves_problem) mark_as_solution <= 1 else if(helpful) Kudo <= Kudo + 1