UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Installing the Ubuntu Desktop on zc702

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to install the Ubuntu desktop on ZYNQ zc702 board. For this i downloaded the precompiled image available here https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=akdm=0&filename=zc702_precompiled_image.zip.

I extracted the contents of this file which is a .img file (3.7 GB). Using Win32DiskImager.exe, I wrote the image file into an 8 GB SD card.

Then I insert the SD card in the zc702 board but no Ubuntu desktop appears, rather I get this output (please see the attached png file).

Please tell me what I am missing and how to get the precompiled ubuntu desktop image running on zynq.

Many thanks in advance.

Eager to get a reply.

Regards

Zafir

Screenshot from 2017-05-31 12:15:51.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Installing the Ubuntu Desktop on zc702

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would first check that all the steps of the guide that you are following were done correctly. Make also sure that the rootfs was extracted on the SD card with the correct permissions.  Another thing to check is if there's any jumper on the board (regarding HDMI) that is not correctly set.

Linux is running and you have access through the terminal, so you could also have a look if the required software is working properly.

Regards

Ignacio

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello,

the problem you have is that the Kernel is not being able to mount the rootfs.

According to the instructions for that image (http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+-+Installing+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+on+PetaLinux+and+Demo+Tech+Tip) you must have to have 2 partitions on the SD card with these contents:

• Partition 1 (FAT32):
    • uImage
    • boot.bin
    • devicetree.dtb
  • Partition 2 (ext3 or ext4)
    • Content of rootfs (uncompressed)

If having this setup it does't work, it can be that the boot argument of the kernel indicating where the rootfs is is wrong. You can generally add to the partition 1 a uEnv.txt file with the boot arguments. One example of boot arguments indicated on the uEnv.txt file is the line:

bootargs=console=ttyPS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw earlyprintk rootfstype=ext4 rootwait

There you are indicating that the rootfs is in the mmc card (SD), partition 2.

But I think if you follow the wiki it should work directly, since the example is made to work by following the "Step by step guide".

Regards,

Ignacio

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi

I created this file uEnv.txt in the boot partition with the line you have mentioned. It doesn't work.

I have not compiled the image myself, rather using the pre-compiled image from http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+-+Installing+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+on+PetaLinux+and+Demo+Tech+Tip

Also when i do sudo blkid, i only get this for the sd card

/dev/sdd1: LABEL="BOOT" UUID="170E-2B3A" TYPE="vfat"

the other partition doesn't seem to exist or is not visible or mounted.

Does anyone have any success with ubuntu desktop on zynq?

Please help me how to fix this problem.

Thanks

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello,

what do you have on the second partition on the SD that you are using to boot the board?

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello again,

I think I found the problem. The rootfs (content of the second partition of the SD) is not present on the .img file. According to the guide, you have to download it from this link: http://releases.linaro.org/12.06/ubuntu/precise-images/ubuntu-desktop/linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz and then extract it on the second partition on the SD. That's why the Kernel cannot mount any rootfs, because there's not a rootfs.

The point 4.1.3 of the wiki (http://releases.linaro.org/12.06/ubuntu/precise-images/ubuntu-desktop/linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz) (http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Zynq-7000+AP+SoC+-+Installing+the+Ubuntu+Desktop+on+PetaLinux+and+Demo+Tech+Tip) explains the process of extracting the rootfs.

Please delete the uEnv file I talked about on my first reply. I just wanted to show how to modify the bootargs by using it, but since the example of the wiki is indicating that a rootfs must be on the second partition, the configuration should be the correct one without this uEnv.

Just put the rootfs on the second partition and see if the kernel is mounting it.

Please let me know if that works.

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

You were right, the .img file does not contain the root file system.

Also, I used Win32DiskImager.exe to burn the image in the SD Card, it did create the second partition but did not format the partition with a file system. So i used the following command to first format the partition with file system:

mkfs.ext4 -L root /dev/sdX2

Please note that I have named the partition as "root" (not "rootfs"). Will it create any problem?

Then I downloaded the rootfs linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz

The command for extracting its contents did not work "sudo tar --strip-components=3 -C /media/rootfs –xzpf linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz binary/boot/filesystem.dir".

So I manually extracted its contents using right click and then copied the contents of /binary/boot/filesystem.dir into the second partition of sd card.

I insert the sd card in the board and power up, the attached screen appears on the GtkTerm. (Please see attached).

I want to ask how can i see the GUI desktop, do i have to use the HDMI interface or what?

Many thanks & Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Zafir,

the image that you attached shows that your Linux is booting. Of course, you can see no GUI because you are connected to a serial terminal.

According to the guide you are following:

In order to support HDMI Display for Ubuntu Gnome (unity) we have taken hardware reference from Zynq Base TRD (Target Reference Design) which implements a Xylon graphics Controller IP for HDMI display

That means, the boot.bin file of the first partition will make the fpga part of the Zynq to contain the HDMI stuff. If everything went OK, you should get signal on the HDMI port of your board and see the GUI if you connect a monitor to it.

The label of the second partition won't create a problem.

There's something you have to consider, so that the system works correctly: when you put the contents on the second partition of the SD card (this means, when you are copying the rootfs), you must ensure that the files have the same permissions that they had when they were compressed. A quick way to achieve this is is to work as root (for example with sudo) when extracting/copiying. This is really important!

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

When I attach the HDMI cable with the board and monitor and power-on the board, the monitor goes into power-save mode. What might be wrong?

I have used the pre-compiled image https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=akdm=0&filename=zc702_precompiled_image.zip and assume that it must be having the necessary PL Cores.

Any help on this?

Regards

Anila

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

When I attach the HDMI cable with the board and monitor and power-on the board, the monitor goes into power-save mode. What might be wrong?

I have used the pre-compiled image https://secure.xilinx.com/webreg/register.do?group=dlc&htmlfile=&emailFile=akdm=0&filename=zc702_precompiled_image.zip and assume that it must be having the necessary PL Cores.

Any help on this?

Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would first check that all the steps of the guide that you are following were done correctly. Make also sure that the rootfs was extracted on the SD card with the correct permissions.  Another thing to check is if there's any jumper on the board (regarding HDMI) that is not correctly set.

Linux is running and you have access through the terminal, so you could also have a look if the required software is working properly.

Regards

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

The steps that I followed are very simple:

- download the precompiled image and write it on the sd card using "Win32DiskImager.exe"

- download rootfs "linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz"

But when i execute the command to extract the contents on sd card

sudo tar --strip-components=3 -C /media/rootfs –xzpf linaro-precise-ubuntu-desktop-20120626-247.tar.gz binary/boot/filesystem.dir

I get the following error:

tar: You must specify one of the '-Acdtrux', '--delete' or '--test-label' options
Try 'tar --help' or 'tar --usage' for more information

Because of this error, i manually copy the rootfs but then unable to get signal on hdmi. How to get around this?

I have checked the "which X" command, it works X windows is installed.

Any suggestions? Do you think i should recompile the TRD and use the long procedure instead of pre-compiled image.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

I got the ubuntu desktop up and running. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

Can you please tell me how to access internet on zc702 using ubuntu since i want to install some packages.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Zafir,

I'm glad to hear that Ubuntu with the gui is running ok! Maybe you could mark the topic as solved, so that other users with the same problem can see that it was solved.

Regarding the Internet connection, what kind of problem are you having? What happens when you connect the cable? Is any interface listed when you execute "ifconfig"?

ifconfig -a

Could you paste here the output of that command?

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

I get the following output on executing ifconfig -a and unable to access internet on zc702:

Screenshot from 2017-05-28 01_11_29.png

The network connections look like this and do not let us add a new connection (everything is disabled):

Screenshot from 2017-05-28 01_12_29.png

What to do? Any suggestions?

Thanks & Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Zafir,

you could try to assign the configuration with the terminal and see what happens. This can be done like this (the parameters are just an example).

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.178.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 255.255.255.0 up

Please ask your network administrator which IPs and configuration you can use.

Note that the MAC address of your board is the one that comes with all Xilinx boards. If there are more Xilinx boards on your network, you could experiment problems.

If you try this, could you post if the address is changed?

Regards,

Ignacio

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio,

The command from the terminal works, and the ip address is changed. However internet still doesn't work and on restarting the board, the configuration is lost. What to do?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi Zafir,

that's great news! It seems that the network card is working properly, but that the configuration is not correct. If answers to ping are being obtained and the gateway is properly configured, I'm pretty sure that the problem with the Internet is the DNS. The command of the previous post did't configure the DNS, in fact.

Also the configuration is being lost after rebooting because it is not being saved. To do it "permanent",this file must be edited: "/etc/network/interfaces".

You can get information about this file here: https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

And in this askubuntu answer, a user explains how to assign the IP and DNS with the "interfaces" file: https://askubuntu.com/questions/346838/how-do-i-configure-my-dns-settings-in-ubuntu-server

Regards,

Ignacio 

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi Ignacio

This is how i edited the /etc/network/interfaces file:

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# the primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.4
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.100.1
dns-nameservers 192.168.100.1

After this i ran the command sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0

I got the following except the first time, the "Files exists" was replaced by "destination host unreachable" or "network not reachable". I restarted the board, ran the command again, and got the following:Screenshot from 2017-06-09 03_41_12.png

The static IP address is assigned but internet does not work.

Also my other observation is when i check the network settings, this is also what i get, no wired connection is shown:

Screenshot from 2017-06-09 03_26_50.png

Any help on this? What is being going wrong? Does this version of linaro support network connectivity or not.

Thanks & Regards

Zafir

0 Kudos
Observer zafirhafeez
Observer

Jump to solution

Also after editing and saving the /etc/network/interfaces file, it is taking a long time to boot.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hello,

I think the network interface is working OK but the configuration is not. There are several examples on the Internet about network configuration in Linux. With a bit of research you will surely find how to do the adequate configuration.

Regards

Ignacio

0 Kudos