Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Linux boot stucks at "Calibrating local timer.." on my custom board

Hi ,

I have a problem when booting linux on my board. Yes, I have read the related post as 'Linux boot stucks at ...', but found no clues.

I have a board from http://www.zingsoc.com/. It is a custom board with little differences with ZedBoard.

I have tried to build a Linux following the "Zynq Base TRD 14.3" guide. For my board uses UART0, so I checked "EARLY_UART1" option off.

While booting, Linux hangs at 

smp_twd: clock not found -2
sched_clock: 32 bits at 100 Hz, resolution 10000000ns, wraps every 21474836480000000ns
Console: colour dummy device 80x30

console [tty0] enabled
Calibrating local timer...

The code in twd_calibrate_rate() is

/* Wait for a tick to start */
        waitjiffies = get_jiffies_64() + 1;

while (get_jiffies_64() < waitjiffies)
            udelay(10);

/* OK, now the tick has started, let's get the timer going */
        waitjiffies += 5;

I debugged it by printk, and found  the waitjiffies is 0 and the while loop is a dead loop, indicating the jiffies not running as expected.

I have a bootable uImage ( version 3.5.0-14.3-build2-25242-gb6ca1be-dirty) without source codes.  I use its boot.bin, devicetree.dtb etc. It seems the DTB is good.

So what is wrong? If the jiffies not running, what can I do?

Thank you in advance!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,
Moving to correct board.
Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are you really sure that your device tree is good as "smp_twd: clock not found -2" makes me believe it's not.

You can always add "lpj=X" on the kernel command line (in u-boot by setting bootargs) where X is some large number to see if it gets thru this but that's not fixing the root of the problem.  This command line option causes it not to calibrate the clock for faster boot time.

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos