UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer dnovick
Observer

Ongoing troubles creating a customizable rootfs for Linux after trying many things

Good Day,

I'm running into problems trying to customize a rootfs for my Linux OS running on a ZedBoard. There are a couple of reasons I need to customize it:

- Once I get Linux configured to my liking, I will be relegating it to a secondary boot, as I'll be booting Linux from OP-TEE. This will require some additional changes to the kernel and rootfs. 

- In addition, I'll be changing my HW design and possibly creating some drivers which will require similar changes to the rootfs

- While I can boot using the arm_ramdisk.image.gz provided on the Wiki, it has a very old and buggy version of the C runtime, which I need for my application to run. 

From what I have read, just plopping down new C libs and updating links will likely lead to chaos. So, I figured I'd opt for something better...like using the rootfs that comes with Petalinux. So, I thought that maybe I'd go ahead and give Petalinux tools a spin. While I was able to install them fine, they just won't work properly on my Ubuntu 16.10 VM.

So, I then tried to just use the rootfs that comes with Petalinux...but repackage it to an initrd ramdisk (i.e. not a cpio based one). To do that, I created a device off of /dev/ram, mounted it, dd-ed it into a file, and then packaged it up just like I normally would do with this type of rootfs (i.e. following the instructions on the wiki). I figured this would do the trick. Unfortunately, when I boot, the kernel can't load the ramdisk. I get errors like "couldn't mount as ext3 due to feature incompatibilties". I tried moving from ext2 to ext4, but neither worked...and apparently you can't mount an ext3 filesystem from /dev/ram.

OK...now I'm stuck,  and am desperately looking for a way to just create an easily customizable rootfs that includes a more recent C runtime, without using petalinux tools (since they won't work)...one that uses the initrd format...unless there is a way to reconfigure my kernel to use the newer cpio format.

After posting this, I'm going to try one more thing. However, I am all ears for a better way to do this.

Thanks much,

Dave

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Observer dnovick
Observer

Re: Ongoing troubles creating a customizable rootfs for Linux after trying many things

Additional info...

So, the one thing I said I would try didn't work either. I went ahead and mounted the downloaded ramdisk that does work, and just replaced the whole thing with the contents of the cpio based archive. 

Unfortunately, I received exactly the same kind of errors. So, it appears that at least my process was somewhat reasonable...though entirely futile :-). 

Again, I'd really appreciate some help, as I'm running out of options. I really don't want to have to try and setup something like a 32 bit bit Linux VM that may do better with petalinux tools.

I'll continue to beat on this while I hope for a merciful response.

Dave

0 Kudos
Observer dnovick
Observer

Re: Ongoing troubles creating a customizable rootfs for Linux after trying many things

BTW...I did try the approach documented on the wiki to create a blank initrd based FS as well. It was only slightly different than what I did with the /dev/ram device...and unfortunately, had the same results. 

Is there something fundamentally different with the cpio based rootfs that makes it wrong to use it in this way, or am I missing something completely different. It seems like this should work.

Dave

0 Kudos