UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor gstro
Visitor

PetaLinux 2015.2 fails to boot. JTAG: OCM Error, and SD Card: Illegal Boot Mode

Hello. I've recently upgraded from 2014.4 to 2015.2. I'm trying to boot PetaLinux on custom HW. I've exported the HDF and BIT files for our board, and I've configured and built a PetaLinux image. But I can't seem to boot the image. 

Over JTAG, (following the "Additional Options" section on page 39 of the PetaLinux 2015.2 Reference Guide):

First, when I try to issue the --xmd-extra "init_user" option, I get an error (this error did not occur in 2014.4):

petalinux-boot -v --jtag --image zynq_fsbl.elf --extra-xmd "init_user"
getopt: unrecognized option '--extra-xmd'
This command boots the MicroBlaze/Zynq systems with Petalinux images
through JTAG/QEMU.
Usage:
  petalinux-boot --qemu|--jtag -c|--component <COMPONENT> [options]
Required:
  --jtag|--qemu                JTAG/QEMU boot mode

Options:
  --prebuilt <BOOT_LEVEL>      Boot prebuilt images (override all settings).
                               supported boot level 1 to 3
                                 1 - download FPGA bitstream (and FSBL for Zynq)
                                 2 - Boot U-Boot only
                                 3 - Boot Linux Kernel only
  --boot-addr <BOOT_ADDR>      boot address
  -i, --image <IMAGE>          image to boot
  --u-boot                     boot images/linux/u-boot.elf image
                               if --kernel is specified, --u-boot will not take
                               effect.
  --kernel                     boot images/linux/zImage for Zynq
                               boot images/linux/image.elf for MicroBlaze
                               if --kernel is specified, --u-boot will not take
                               effect.
  -v, --verbose                output debug messages
  -h|--help                    Display help messages
Please specify a boot mode for the detailed options:
Show jtag boot options:
  $ petalinux-boot --jtag --help

Show qemu boot options:
  $ petalinux-boot --qemu --help

If I remove that option, then it downloads the zynq_fsbl.elf just fine. 

I get the following error when I get to the "petalinux-boot -v --jtag --kernel" step:

petalinux-boot -v --jtag --kernel
INFO: Append dtb - /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/system.dtb and other options to boot zImage
XSDB Script:
INFO: Launching XSDB for file download and boot.
INFO: This may take a few minutes, depending on the size of your image.

connect
targets -set -nocase -filter {name =~ "arm*#0"}
source /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/subsystems/linux/hw-description/ps7_init.tcl; ps7_post_config
catch {stop}
set mctrlval [string trim [lindex [split [mrd 0xF8007080] :] 1]]
puts "mctrlval=$mctrlval"
puts stderr "INFO: Downloading ELF file to the target."
dow "/home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf"
after 2000
con
after 3000; stop
rst -processor
dow -data "/home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/system.dtb" 0x02408000
after 2000
rwr r2 0x02408000
dow -data "/home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000
after 2000
rwr pc 0x00008000
con
after 5000
exit
rlwrap: warning: your $TERM is 'xterm' but rlwrap couldn't find it in the terminfo database. Expect some problems.: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Got $XILINX_SDK: /home/greg/dev/SDK/2015.2
mctrlval=30800100                                                                                               
INFO: Downloading ELF file to the target.
Downloading Program -- /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
	section, .text: 0x00000000 - 0x000096f3
	section, .handoff: 0x000096f4 - 0x0000973f
	section, .init: 0x00009740 - 0x00009757
	section, .fini: 0x00009758 - 0x0000976f
	section, .rodata&colon; 0x00009770 - 0x00009f87
	section, .data&colon; 0x00009f88 - 0x0000ce3f
	section, .mmu_tbl: 0x00010000 - 0x00013fff
	section, .init_array: 0x00014000 - 0x00014007
	section, .fini_array: 0x00014008 - 0x0001400b
	section, .rsa_ac: 0x0001400c - 0x0001503f
	section, .bss: 0x00015040 - 0x0001648b
	section, .heap: 0x0001648c - 0x0001848f
	section, .stack: 0xffff0000 - 0xffffd3ff
100%    0MB   infMB/s  00:00    
Setting PC to Program Start Address 0x00000000
Successfully downloaded /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
100%    0MB  14.4MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/system.dtb
aborting, 1 pending requests...  
Failed to download /home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zImage
Error in startup script:
OCM is not enabled at 0x00030000. Invalid address
    invoked from within
"::tcf::eval -progress {
	    apply {{info} {
		switch -- [lindex $info 0] {
		    "info" {
			puts -nonewline "\r[lindex $info 1]"
		    }
		    "warning" {
			puts "\n[lindex $info 1]"
		    }
		    "data" {
			puts -nonewline "\r[lindex $info 1] of [lindex $info 2] complete"
		    }
		    "done" {
		    }
		}
		flush stdout
		::xsdb::abort_check
	    }}} {::tcf::cache_enter tcfchan#0 {tcf_cache_eval {download_cache_client ::tcfclient#0::arg}}}"
    (procedure "::tcf::cache_eval_with_progress" line 2)
    invoked from within
"::tcf::cache_eval_with_progress $params(chan) [list download_cache_client $argvar] {
	    apply {{info} {
		    "info" ..."
    (procedure "dow" line 39)
    invoked from within
"dow -data "/home/greg/Development/vccamD22/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000"
    (file "/tmp/tmp.SpQzEJEM3b" line 19)

I then try to package the image for an SD Card, but when I boot from the card, I get the following message:

Xilinx First Stage Boot Loader
Release 2015.2  Jul 30 2015-14:38:25
Silicon Version 3.1
ILLEGAL_BOOT_MODE
FSBL Status = 0xA000

We have confirmed that the SD Card and card detect is enabled in Vivado and that the jumper settings are correct for SD Card boot.

I am at a loss on what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

My System:

PetaLinux, Xilinx SDK, and Vivado 2015.2

Xilinx Platform Cable USB II

Ubuntu 14.04 VirtualBox VM on Windows 8

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: PetaLinux 2015.2 fails to boot. JTAG: OCM Error, and SD Card: Illegal Boot Mode

I appear to be having a similar problem with my PetaLinux setup.  I attempted to boot my ZC706 with a PetaLinux build using the latest Linux kernel and U-Boot sources from Xilinx's GitHub.  My output error message follows (some santizing was applied to path and hostname):

[jordanki_bah@hostname petalinux_project]$ petalinux-boot -v --jtag --kernel
INFO: Append dtb - /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/system.dtb and other options to boot zImage
XSDB Script:

connect                                                                                                                                                                                
source /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/subsystems/linux/hw-description/ps7_init.tcl; ps7_post_config                                                                   
catch {stop}                                                                                                                                                                           
set mctrlval [string trim [lindex [split [mrd 0xF8007080] :] 1]]                                                                                                                       
puts "mctrlval=$mctrlval"                                                                                                                                                              
puts stderr "INFO: Downloading ELF file to the target."                                                                                                                                
dow "/home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf"                                                                                                       
after 2000                                                                                                                                                                             
con                                                                                                                                                                                    
after 3000; stop                                                                                                                                                                       
rst -processor                                                                                                                                                                         
dow -data "/home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/system.dtb" 0x02408000                                                                                         
after 2000                                                                                                                                                                             
rwr r2 0x02408000                                                                                                                                                                      
dow -data "/home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000                                                                                             
after 2000                                                                                                                                                                             
rwr pc 0x00008000                                                                                                                                                                      
con                                                                                                                                                                                    
after 5000                                                                                                                                                                             
exit                                                                                                                                                                                   
Got $XILINX_SDK: /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2015.2
attempting to launch hw_server                                                                                                                                                         

****** Xilinx hw_server v2015.2                                                                                                                                                        
  **** Build date : Jun 26 2015-16:42:45
    ** Copyright 1986-1999, 2001-2015 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

INFO: hw_server application started
INFO: Use Ctrl-C to exit hw_server application

INFO: To connect to this hw_server instance use url: TCP:127.0.0.1:3121

mctrlval=30800100
Downloading Program -- /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
        section, .text: 0x00000000 - 0x0000df83
        section, .handoff: 0x0000df84 - 0x0000dfcf
        section, .init: 0x0000dfd0 - 0x0000dfe7
        section, .fini: 0x0000dfe8 - 0x0000dfff
        section, .rodata&colon; 0x0000e000 - 0x0000e2df
        section, .data&colon; 0x0000e2e0 - 0x000113f3
        section, .mmu_tbl: 0x00014000 - 0x00017fff
        section, .init_array: 0x00018000 - 0x00018007
        section, .fini_array: 0x00018008 - 0x0001800b
        section, .rsa_ac: 0x0001800c - 0x0001903f
        section, .bss: 0x00019040 - 0x0001aaab
        section, .heap: 0x0001aaac - 0x0001caaf
100%    0MB  18.8MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
100%    0MB   infMB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/system.dtb
Failed to download /home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zImage
Error in startup script:
    invoked from within
            apply {{info} {
                    "info" {
                    }
                    "warning" {
                    }
                    "data" {
                    }
                    "done" {
                    }
                }
                flush stdout
            }}} {::tcf::cache_enter tcfchan#0 {tcf_cache_eval {download_cache_client ::tcfclient#0::arg}}}"
    invoked from within
"::tcf::cache_eval_with_progress $params(chan) [list download_cache_client $argvar] {
            apply {{info} {
                    "info" ..."
    (procedure "dow" line 39)
    invoked from within
"dow -data "/home/jordanki_bah/petalinux_project/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000"

Some other interesting things to note:

1. When attempting the same comand using the pre-built sources, it is successful only once.  What I mean by that is I can boot my development machine, power on my ZC706, run the petalinux-boot command using the prebuilt kernel, and it boots.  However, if I halt the running kernel, and reissue the same petalinux-boot command using the prebuilt kernel, the command errors out in a similar manner (not the same error message, wasn't able to offload that error message right at the moment).  If I power cycle on the ZC706, that intermittently fixes the problem.  Rebooting my development machine does allow me to perform the same petalinux-boot command once again.
  2. If I attempt to boot my built kernel and receive the error above, I cannot boot the prebuilt kernel.  Behavior is similar to the prior noteable item.
  3. Prior to issuing the command to boot my built kernel, I had opened a connection to the USB UART through minicom on /dev/ttyUSB0.  When I ran the command and the above error appeared, I also lost my connection to the USB UART with minicom reporting that it cannot open /dev/ttyUSB0 as if it no longer existed.

Details about my build machine setup:

Vivado 2015.2

PetaLinux 2015.2

No connection to the Internet
CentOS 7
Linux 3.10.0-123.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 30 12:09:22 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
MemTotal:       16266888 kB

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think there's an issue with Vivado here.  This feels like either a driver problem with resources not being released properly (can't perform two consecutive boots of prebuilt image unless workstation is rebooted; minicom loosing /dev/ttyUSB0) or a serious bug in the hw_server application.  Are there any known issues with 2015.2 that would/could cause the problem we're seeing?

This signature intentionally left blank.
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Re: PetaLinux 2015.2 fails to boot. JTAG: OCM Error, and SD Card: Illegal Boot Mode

Just to update this thread, I have found that I pulled U-boot just hours prior to a merge of branches, so it is not the latest pull of master.  However, I have successfully booted the board with my pull of U-boot after programming the QSPI with it, and I programmed the PL, booted the Linux kernel, DTB, and root FS using the PetaLinux 2015.2 supplied PL file all over TFTP.

This signature intentionally left blank.
0 Kudos
Visitor sdhunna
Visitor

I'm seeing the same problem in my setup when it gets to the point of loading the linux kernel image.

Error in startup script:
    invoked from within

Has anyone found a solution to this? 

0 Kudos

Same problem for me... Very disappointed... Any news?

0 Kudos
Participant rankeney
Participant

Have you tried the newer Petalinux 2015.2.1? Just a thought...

0 Kudos
Visitor vince2018
Visitor

Same problem for me . I am using Petalinux 2017.1. Boot failed for JTAG

0 Kudos
Visitor hawkeyed
Visitor

Same problem here with "Memory write error at 0x30000. OCM is not enabled at 0x00030000" when trying to boot from a virtual machine using a remote hardware manager. (Same windows machine running the virtual machine and the hardware manager with the jtag connection.)

petalinux-boot --jtag --xsdb-conn "connect -url tcp:192.168.170.168:3121" --kernel

I don't get any output at all when trying to boot petalinux from SD card, how do you get output from that?

More info: using a custom board, can run standalone over jtag, boot standalone from flash and boot standalone from sd. DDR RAM test completes with no errors. Can't get petalinux to run.

0 Kudos

Hi

Try to boot along with your bit file like this and see if it boots:

petalinux-boot --jtag --kernel --fpga --bitstream download.bit

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Visitor hawkeyed
Visitor

Still get the same error

petalinux-boot --jtag --xsdb-conn "connect -url tcp:192.168.170.168:3121" --kernel --fpga --bitstream images/linux/Zynq7000CPU_wrapper.bit
INFO: Append dtb - /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/system.dtb and other options to boot zImage
INFO: Configuring the FPGA...
INFO: Downloading bitstream to the target.
Memory write error at 0x30000. OCM is not enabled at 0x00030000. Invalid address
    invoked from within
        apply {{info} {
            "info" {
            }
            "warning" {
            }
            "data" {
            }
            "done" {
            }
        }
        flush stdout
    invoked from within
        apply {{info} {
            "info" ..."
    (procedure "dow" line 67)
    invoked from within
"dow -data "/home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000"
    (file "/tmp/tmp.9bi3ilMqcF" line 30)
called Tcl_FindHashEntry on deleted table
/opt/pkg/petalinux/tools/hsm/bin/loader: line 179: 25632 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$RDI_PROG" "$@"
INFO: The XSDB log is as follows
100%    1MB   1.3MB/s  00:01    
mctrlval=30800100
Downloading Program -- /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
    section, .text: 0x00000000 - 0x0000da73
    section, .handoff: 0x0000da74 - 0x0000dabf
    section, .init: 0x0000dac0 - 0x0000dad7
    section, .fini: 0x0000dad8 - 0x0000daef
    section, .rodata: 0x0000daf0 - 0x0000de47
    section, .data: 0x0000de48 - 0x00010e6f
    section, .eh_frame: 0x00010e70 - 0x00010e73
    section, .init_array: 0x00018000 - 0x00018003
    section, .fini_array: 0x00018004 - 0x00018007
    section, .rsa_ac: 0x00018008 - 0x0001903f
    section, .bss: 0x00019040 - 0x0001ae7f
    section, .heap: 0x0001ae80 - 0x0001ce7f
100%    0MB   0.5MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
Downloading Program -- /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf
    section, .text: 0x00400000 - 0x0044370b
    section, efi_runtime_text: 0x0044370c - 0x0044372f
    section, .rodata: 0x00443730 - 0x00452882
    section, .hash: 0x00452884 - 0x0045289b
    section, .dtb.init.rodata: 0x004528a0 - 0x0045605f
    section, .data: 0x00456060 - 0x00458327
    section, .got.plt: 0x00458328 - 0x00458333
    section, efi_runtime_data: 0x00458338 - 0x0045840f
    section, .u_boot_list: 0x00458410 - 0x00459247
    section, .rel.dyn: 0x00459248 - 0x00462a6f
    section, .bss_start: 0x00459248 - 0x00459247
    section, .bss: 0x00459248 - 0x00498f03
    section, .bss_end: 0x00498f04 - 0x00498f03
100%    0MB   0.4MB/s  00:00    
Setting PC to Program Start Address 0x00400000
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf
100%    0MB   0.3MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/system.dtb
Failed to download /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zImage
0 Kudos
Visitor hawkeyed
Visitor

still same error

petalinux-boot --jtag --xsdb-conn "connect -url tcp:192.168.170.168:3121" --kernel --fpga --bitstream images/linux/Zynq7000CPU_wrapper.bit
INFO: Append dtb - /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/system.dtb and other options to boot zImage
INFO: Configuring the FPGA...
INFO: Downloading bitstream to the target.
Memory write error at 0x30000. OCM is not enabled at 0x00030000. Invalid address
    invoked from within
        apply {{info} {
            "info" {
            }
            "warning" {
            }
            "data" {
            }
            "done" {
            }
        }
        flush stdout
    invoked from within
        apply {{info} {
            "info" ..."
    (procedure "dow" line 67)
    invoked from within
"dow -data "/home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zImage" 0x00008000"
    (file "/tmp/tmp.9bi3ilMqcF" line 30)
called Tcl_FindHashEntry on deleted table
/opt/pkg/petalinux/tools/hsm/bin/loader: line 179: 25632 Aborted                 (core dumped) "$RDI_PROG" "$@"
INFO: The XSDB log is as follows
100%    1MB   1.3MB/s  00:01    
mctrlval=30800100
Downloading Program -- /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
    section, .text: 0x00000000 - 0x0000da73
    section, .handoff: 0x0000da74 - 0x0000dabf
    section, .init: 0x0000dac0 - 0x0000dad7
    section, .fini: 0x0000dad8 - 0x0000daef
    section, .rodata: 0x0000daf0 - 0x0000de47
    section, .data: 0x0000de48 - 0x00010e6f
    section, .eh_frame: 0x00010e70 - 0x00010e73
    section, .init_array: 0x00018000 - 0x00018003
    section, .fini_array: 0x00018004 - 0x00018007
    section, .rsa_ac: 0x00018008 - 0x0001903f
    section, .bss: 0x00019040 - 0x0001ae7f
    section, .heap: 0x0001ae80 - 0x0001ce7f
100%    0MB   0.5MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zynq_fsbl.elf
Downloading Program -- /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf
    section, .text: 0x00400000 - 0x0044370b
    section, efi_runtime_text: 0x0044370c - 0x0044372f
    section, .rodata: 0x00443730 - 0x00452882
    section, .hash: 0x00452884 - 0x0045289b
    section, .dtb.init.rodata: 0x004528a0 - 0x0045605f
    section, .data: 0x00456060 - 0x00458327
    section, .got.plt: 0x00458328 - 0x00458333
    section, efi_runtime_data: 0x00458338 - 0x0045840f
    section, .u_boot_list: 0x00458410 - 0x00459247
    section, .rel.dyn: 0x00459248 - 0x00462a6f
    section, .bss_start: 0x00459248 - 0x00459247
    section, .bss: 0x00459248 - 0x00498f03
    section, .bss_end: 0x00498f04 - 0x00498f03
100%    0MB   0.4MB/s  00:00    
Setting PC to Program Start Address 0x00400000
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/pre-built/linux/images/u-boot.elf
100%    0MB   0.3MB/s  00:00    
Successfully downloaded /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/system.dtb
Failed to download /home/rh/Documents/petalinuxzynq400baseboard/petalinuxProject/images/linux/zImage
0 Kudos