UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

PetaLinux Can't Configure Kernel on RHEL

Jump to solution

Hello I am getting a warning GUI from RHEL when I am trying to configure the PetaLinux kernel.

> petalinux-config -c kernel

This GUI pops up.

cantconfigkernel.PNG

My IT people have said that they have done every step recommended by RHEL for this kind of warning.

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/15225

Even still, it is not working. I am wondering if anyone knows what bitbake is doing when PetaLinux is configuring kernel and trying to bring up that GUI. Have a feeling I am going to have to do some serious digging on this one, but any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: PetaLinux Can't Configure Kernel on RHEL

Jump to solution

I suspect you need root privileges ...

I use a virtual linux machine for these tasks, as our IT does not allow us root privileges on our linux workstations on our intranet.

We do have a VNC server set aside for this also by our IT department, which also works.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

I suspect you need root privileges ...

I use a virtual linux machine for these tasks, as our IT does not allow us root privileges on our linux workstations on our intranet.

We do have a VNC server set aside for this also by our IT department, which also works.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hey @austin this might be a little beyond the scope of the question, but would it be sensible to try to make a QEMU guest and work off of that? If I did that, how would I configure the rootfs to have all the Xilinx tools (Vivado, SDK, and PetaLinux) that I have on my host rootfs? Is it possible to make that QEMU emulation rootfs permanent, so if I rebooted, files I created would still be there?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

I do not know,

I do know that creating your own linux OS (any variant) requires root access on the generating machine.  In the past I used a VM.  Now we have a VNC server dedicated to petalinux building, so I do not have to deal with trying to transfer files back and forth to my VM (which can get difficult as IT now 'knows' there is a 'rogue' linux VM on the intranet, and they do everything they can to force it to be nearly useless ...

I would say creating OS' is a skill of the very few, hence, doing it is at the rare heights of the most arcane.  If you doubt me, just look at the documentation required on the subject.  About four years ago I debugged the Zynq 7000 OS wiki pages for building generic (open) linux.  I recall there were 68 pages of instructions.

Fail at any step, and you go no further.

Some say verilog and VHDL is tough:  I would say if you had to build your OS to use a computer, computers would still be in the closets, and virtually unused (as they were in the 1950's and 60's).

So, 'liberating' FPGA devices using Sdx really comes down to using canned OS' built by others, and writing c/c++ code.

The most exciting development for me is Pynq (Python on Zynq 7000, or Zynq MPSoC.  You go from nothing to working in minutes.  Truly impressive.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos