UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

PetaLinux vs Vivado SDK?

Jump to solution

Can someone explain the difference between PetaLinux and the Vivado SDK for linux development? As far as I can tell, the Vivado SDK contains all of the build tools needed to build linux applications (arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi-*). What's the difference between manually building linux-xlnx and u-boot-xlnx from the Git repository vs using PetaLinux? What's the prefered method to build and setup a linux development enviornment?

I've installed Vivado SDK on my Ubuntu Machine; git cloned, configured, and built u-boot-xlnx and linux-xlnx. Everything seems to be working fine on my Microzed board. Are there any advantages to using PetaLinux?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: PetaLinux vs Vivado SDK?

Jump to solution

@rdemara

PetaLinux is our full Linux distribution which includes the Linux OS as well as a complete configuration, build and deploy environment for Xilinx silicon.PetaLinux Tools provide a simple and fast method to build and deploy Linux-based software on Xilinx Zynq-7000 APSoC and MicroBlaze devices.

Although the PetaLinux kernel is based on a stable and thoroughly tested Linux, also from the Xilinx Git server, PetaLinux offers much more than what can be downloaded from our Git. PetaLinux includes installer, development tools, BSPs, platform management utilities, application and library frameworks and documentation that are not found within our OSL offering.

With PetaLinux, you can:

• Build and configure Linux components; Linux kernel, u-boot and file system, for Zynq-7000 APSoC and MicroBlaze based designs

• Easily synchronize your Linux software platform and hardware platform in a single step

• Easily target and migrate your Linux user application to Zynq-7000 APSoC or MicroBlaze based Linux platform

• Quickly get started with building Linux-based software on Xilinx and partner development boards using the pre-built Board Support Packages (BSPs)

• Test your Zynq-7000 APSoC or MicroBlaze Linux system without any hardware in a virtual machine environment using QEMU

You can refer to the design flow details in the link http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PetaLinux+Getting+Started

For more details refer to the Petalinux Documentation.

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@rdemara

PetaLinux is our full Linux distribution which includes the Linux OS as well as a complete configuration, build and deploy environment for Xilinx silicon.PetaLinux Tools provide a simple and fast method to build and deploy Linux-based software on Xilinx Zynq-7000 APSoC and MicroBlaze devices.

Although the PetaLinux kernel is based on a stable and thoroughly tested Linux, also from the Xilinx Git server, PetaLinux offers much more than what can be downloaded from our Git. PetaLinux includes installer, development tools, BSPs, platform management utilities, application and library frameworks and documentation that are not found within our OSL offering.

With PetaLinux, you can:

• Build and configure Linux components; Linux kernel, u-boot and file system, for Zynq-7000 APSoC and MicroBlaze based designs

• Easily synchronize your Linux software platform and hardware platform in a single step

• Easily target and migrate your Linux user application to Zynq-7000 APSoC or MicroBlaze based Linux platform

• Quickly get started with building Linux-based software on Xilinx and partner development boards using the pre-built Board Support Packages (BSPs)

• Test your Zynq-7000 APSoC or MicroBlaze Linux system without any hardware in a virtual machine environment using QEMU

You can refer to the design flow details in the link http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/PetaLinux+Getting+Started

For more details refer to the Petalinux Documentation.

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@rdemara

Did the info in my earlier post clarify your query?

Regards,

Achutha

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@achutha Yes, that helped a lot. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Participant igal_kroyter
Participant

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am a newbie and planning using the MPSOC Ultrascale+ architecture, and I am on the crossroad to select my future toolsl.

Although it is a one year old thread and closed. I did not understand the difference between both tools: Xilinx SDK and PetaLinux SDK.

The only thing that I do understand is that I need to maintain an UBUNTU station to be able to work with the PetaLinux SDK, while with the Xilinx SDK I can continue to work with a Windows station. Moreover, I do not understand - while working with the XILINX SDK - where to select the OS to work with (like the PetaLinux).

Thanks for the Support.

Igal

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@achutha, I have some further questions :

1) what do you mean by 'OSL offering' in your previous reply?

2) I also discovered there's a 'Yocto' page : http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Yocto -> is this a 3rd method to build a complete Linux system for Zynq? I'm  not a linux expert,  I thought to understand that Petalinux was a 'stripped' down version of Yocto, is that correct?

-> so it's even more confusing ... I think Xilinx should create a top-level page explaining clearly the pro's and con's of each method, to make it easier for people to decide on their workflow/toolset

UG1228 (Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC Embedded Design Methodology Guide) looks to me 'the' starting point for software development on Zynq US+ systems : however, there's only mention of Petalinux, no reference to the linux wiki pages whatsoever ... ? So what are these linux wiki pages for then?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos