UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bhuelsen
Visitor

Petalinux 2017.4 - "petalinux-build" fails on busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc

I created a new Petalinux (2017.4) project with

petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name petalinux_build

And initialized the project with the hardware-specific information from my Vivado project

petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<PATH_TO_HDF>

After that I executed

petalinux-build

to build the project. At this point the procedure fails as you can see in the underneath terminal output.

benjaminh@memory-lab-pc:~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test$ petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name petalinux_build
INFO: Create project: petalinux_build
INFO: New project successfully created in /home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build
benjaminh@memory-lab-pc:~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test$ cd petalinux_build/
benjaminh@memory-lab-pc:~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build$ petalinux-config --get-hw-description=/home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_repo/FPGA/crater_nav_microzed/crater_nav_microzed.sdk/
INFO: Getting hardware description...
INFO: Rename microzed_top_wrapper.hdf to system.hdf
[INFO] generating Kconfig for project

[INFO] menuconfig project
/home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/misc/config/Kconfig.syshw:30:warning: defaults for choice values not supported
/home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/misc/config/Kconfig:568:warning: config symbol defined without type
configuration written to /home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/project-spec/configs/config

*** End of the configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to start the build or try 'make help'.

[INFO] sourcing bitbake
[INFO] generating plnxtool conf
[INFO] generating meta-plnx-generated layer
~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/misc/plnx-generated ~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build
~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build
[INFO] generating machine configuration
[INFO] generating bbappends for project . This may take time ! 
~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/misc/plnx-generated ~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build
~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build
[INFO] generating u-boot configuration files

[INFO] generating kernel configuration files
[INFO] generating kconfig for Rootfs
Generate rootfs kconfig
[INFO] oldconfig rootfs
[INFO] generating petalinux-user-image.bb
benjaminh@memory-lab-pc:~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build$ petalinux-build
[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
Parsing recipes: 100% |######################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:01:08
Parsing of 2466 .bb files complete (0 cached, 2466 parsed). 3259 targets, 226 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |###################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:05
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |###########################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:15
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
ERROR: busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc /home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/quiltrc push' exited with 0  Output:
/home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/quilt: line 153: /home/benjaminh/bin/bash: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
ERROR: busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Function failed: patch_do_patch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/benjaminh/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build/build/tmp/work/cortexa9hf-neon-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/busybox/1.24.1-r0/temp/log.do_patch.31512
ERROR: Task (/home/benjaminh/petalinux_2017_4/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/core/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.24.1.bb:do_patch) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 1248 tasks of which 1095 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/benjaminh/petalinux_2017_4/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/core/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.24.1.bb:do_patch
Summary: There were 2 ERROR messages shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project
benjaminh@memory-lab-pc:~/embedded_development/microZed/microzed_test/petalinux_build$ 

I already checked if all recommend packages and workstation environments are installed which are described in UG1144 table 1-3.

Any idea what went wrong? How can I fix that issue?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Petalinux 2017.4 - "petalinux-build" fails on busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc

Hi @bhuelsen,

Are you trying to patch busybox ?

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor bhuelsen
Visitor

Re: Petalinux 2017.4 - "petalinux-build" fails on busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc

Hi @sandeepg,

no I've not tried to patch busybox.

I left everything in the default setting. This means no changes on the project config, the kernel config and no changes on the config of the rootfs.

Do I have to patch busybox to bring up the system properly?

Thanks,

Benjamin

0 Kudos

Hi @bhuelsen,

Can you run below command and see share the logs.

$ petalinux-build -x mrproper
$ petalinux-build
Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
0 Kudos
Visitor amclees
Visitor

I am having the exact same problem and it just started happening last week. I had previously built many projects successfully on this machine, so I'm not sure what changed.

I ran

$ petalinux-build -x mrproper
$ petalinux-build

I get

ERROR: busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc /home/temporal/ultrazed/petalinux/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/quiltrc push' exited with 0  Output:
/home/temporal/ultrazed/petalinux/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/quilt: line 153: /home/temporal/bin/bash: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
ERROR: busybox-1.24.1-r0 do_patch: Function failed: patch_do_patch
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/temporal/ultrazed/petalinux/build/tmp/work/aarch64-xilinx-linux/busybox/1.24.1-r0/temp/log.do_patch.22989
ERROR: Task (/opt/petalinux-v2017.4-final/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/core/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox_1.24.1.bb:do_patch) failed with exit code '1'

And here is log.do_patch.22989

DEBUG: Executing python function do_patch
DEBUG: Executing python function patch_do_patch
NOTE: Applying patch 'busybox-udhcpc-no_deconfig.patch' (/opt/petalinux-v2017.4-final/components/yocto/source/aarch64/layers/core/meta/recipes-core/busybox/busybox/busybox-udhcpc-no_deconfig.patch)
ERROR: Command Error: 'quilt --quiltrc /home/temporal/ultrazed/petalinux/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/etc/quiltrc push' exited with 0  Output:
/home/temporal/ultrazed/petalinux/build/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/quilt: line 153: /home/temporal/bin/bash: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
DEBUG: Python function patch_do_patch finished
DEBUG: Python function do_patch finished
ERROR: Function failed: patch_do_patch
0 Kudos
Visitor amclees
Visitor

I reinstalled PetaLinux but the problem persisted so I ended up reinstalling the OS and all Xilinx tools.

Not the most elegant fix but at least it works for now.

0 Kudos
Observer shustik
Observer

I've just install Ubuntu 16.04.4 and petalinux 2018.1, and xilinx soft: Vivado & SDK. And I have problem with transaction. What can it be?

Failed:
  base-files.plnx_zynq7 3.0.14-r89                                              
  busybox.cortexa9hf_neon 1.24.1-r0                                             
  eudev.cortexa9hf_neon 3.2.2-r0                                                
  initscripts-functions.cortexa9hf_neon 1.0-r155                                
  libblkid1.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                             
  libfdisk1.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                             
  libmount1.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                             
  libsmartcols1.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                         
  libudev1.cortexa9hf_neon 3.2.2-r0                                             
  libuuid1.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                              
  shadow.cortexa9hf_neon 4.2.1-r0                                               
  smartmontools.cortexa9hf_neon 6.5-r0                                          
  util-linux.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                            
  util-linux-su.cortexa9hf_neon 2.30-r0                                         

Error: Transaction failed

Any ideas?

0 Kudos