UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Newbie jeschiefer

Petalinux 2018.3 build erroneously includes mipi device tree source on Ultra96

Jump to solution

I am having trouble building any very simple Ultra96 design with Petalinux 2018.3. It works fine when I start from the 2018.3 BSP design, but as soon as I remove the IP related to the video pipeline, I get the following build error:

DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
system-top.dtb: ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "misc_clk_0"

system-top.dtb: ERROR (phandle_references): Reference to non-existent node or label "misc_clk_0"

ERROR: Input tree has errors, aborting (use -f to force output)
WARNING: /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+b7466bbeee-r0/temp/run.do_compile.30260:1 exit 2 from 'dtc -I dts -O dtb -R 8 -p 0x1000 -b 0 -i /var/lib/Media/OE/peta/PlusUltra/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree -i /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work-shared/ultra96-zynqmp/kernel-source/include -i /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work-shared/ultra96-zynqmp/kernel-source/arch/arm64/boot/dts/xilinx -i /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work-shared/ultra96-zynqmp/kernel-source/include -i /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+b7466bbeee-r0 -o ${DTS_NAME}.dtb `basename ${DTS_FILE}`.pp'
ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/jan/Develop/P4G/peta/PlusUltra/build/tmp/work/ultra96_zynqmp-xilinx-linux/device-tree/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+b7466bbeee-r0/temp/log.do_compile.30260)

The same thing happens if I start with a new hardware design from scratch. The device tree insists on referring to a clock " that is not in my hardware design. Here is what I have been able to figure out:

I am wondering why this was added as the default. And is there some magic spell for bitbake, that allows me to work around this, for designs that do not care about MIPI?

Thank you very much,

Jan Schiefer

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Petalinux 2018.3 build erroneously includes mipi device tree source on Ultra96

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please see toward bottom of README.md from https://github.com/Avnet/Ultra96-PYNQ for a way to build the 2018.3 Ultra96 bsp without having to include a specific MIPI PL hardware design.  Xilinx is aware of this issue (it is in the yocto source of the released PetaLinux) and I hope they fix it for the next PetaLinux release.  In the mean time you can get around it with what is shown, a single line can fix this.

Best regards

6 Replies
Visitor matejk
Visitor

Re: Petalinux 2018.3 build erroneously includes mipi device tree source on Ultra96

Jump to solution

We noticed something similar after upgrading from 20178.2 to 2018.3.

When building, the following error is reported:

| Error: /opt/devel/git/1ghz-8bit-1gddr/petalinux-2018.3-ultra96/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree/mipi-support-ultra96.dtsi:9.1-17 Label or path axi_uart16550_0 not found
| Error: /opt/devel/git/1ghz-8bit-1gddr/petalinux-2018.3-ultra96/build/../components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree/mipi-support-ultra96.dtsi:121.2-10 Label or path i2csw_2 not found
| FATAL ERROR: Syntax error parsing input tree

Error seems to originate from the file mipi-support-ultra96.dtsi that is include to support feature mipi.

When I changed ultra96-zynqmp.conf in the 2018.3 installation and removed mipi feature, device tree was compiled properly.

Yocto describes the method of "Feature Backfilling".

I'll try to add feature mipi to variable MACHINE_FEATURES_BACKFILL_CONSIDERED to exclude it from the build, because we do not need it.

Visitor matejk
Visitor

Jump to solution

The cause of the problem is a bug in scripts that configure Ultra96 device tree.

In PL 2018.2 device tree of zcu100_revc was used as a base for Ultra96 and petalinux-config properly pulled in its dtsi file to project's components directory.

In PL 2018.3 new dtsi was introduced (avnet-ultra96-rev1.dtsi) for Ultra96. However, there is a bug in the scripts and this file does not get pulled in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor matejk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please see toward bottom of README.md from https://github.com/Avnet/Ultra96-PYNQ for a way to build the 2018.3 Ultra96 bsp without having to include a specific MIPI PL hardware design.  Xilinx is aware of this issue (it is in the yocto source of the released PetaLinux) and I hope they fix it for the next PetaLinux release.  In the mean time you can get around it with what is shown, a single line can fix this.

Best regards

Newbie jeschiefer

Jump to solution

Thank you, this does indeed fix it!

Xilinx, if you are listening, this may be worth an answer record.

0 Kudos
Visitor matejk
Visitor

Jump to solution

@technoaddict67 , thank you for this information.

Comments with information were also posted to the issue on github: https://github.com/Xilinx/meta-xilinx-tools/issues/12

0 Kudos