UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor mark_8
Visitor

Petalinux - Unable to read file uImage

Hi,

I tried to boot my vivado project by SD card U-boot petalinux. I have load my Boot.bin and image.ub files into fat32/SD card, and boot into the console and loading the Linux kernel uImage by following:

U-Boot-PetaLinux> fatload mmc 0 0x3000000 uImage

reading uImage
** Unable to read file uImage **

I have included the "image.ub" file in the SD card and why I cannot load the kernal? How can I load the kernal image properly?

I created "image.ub" file by petalinux 2014.4 and "Boot.bin" by SDK 2015.2

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Petalinux - Unable to read file uImage

Maybe the filename needs to be "uImage" instead of "image.ub"?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Petalinux - Unable to read file uImage

@mark_8

If you are using Petalinux 2014.4 or later versions you need not use SDK to create the BOOT.bin file.

Once the hardware is exported , you can generate all the required files to boot using Petalinux commands.

Refer to UG1157 for Petalinux commands: http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/petalinux2014_4/ug1157-petalinux-tools-command-line-guide.pdf

Petalinux-commands.PNG

After creating the image.ub using petalinux-build command, you can use the command petalinux-package command to generate boot.bin.

Command details:

Example Usage of the petalinux-package --boot Workflow
The following examples demonstrate proper usage of the petalinux-package --boot workflow.
 1.Create a BOOT.BIN file for a Zynq AP SoC device.
$ petalinux-package --boot --format BIN --fsbl --u-boot -o <PATH-TO-OUTPUT>
2. Create a BOOT.BIN file for a Zynq AP SoC device that includes a PL bitstream and FIT image.
$ petalinux-package --boot --format BIN --fsbl --u-boot --fpga <PATH-TO-BITSTREAM>
--kernel -o <PATH-TO-OUTPUT>
3. Create a x8 SMAP PROM MCS file for a MicroBlaze design.
$ petalinux-package --boot --format MCS --fsbl --u-boot --fpga <PATH-TO-BITSTREAM>
--flash-size <SIZE> --flash-intf SMAPx8 -o <PATH-TO-OUTPUT>

You can copy the BOOT.BIN and image.ub files to SD card to boot linux.

If you want to stop during u-boot and later boot the kernel, use run sdboot at u-boot stage.

hope this helps.

-Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos