UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor sergios_
Visitor

Problems using Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC GEM TSU for PTP

Hello.

I'm trying to use the Time Stamping Units integrated in the GEM of a Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC. I'm working with LinuxPTP over a ZCU102 development board. The Linux kernel is cloned from Xilinx repositories and positioned at "xilinx-v2017.4" tag.

Until now I have followed these steps:

- I have enabled the GEM time-stamping clock and enabled it to function through the EMIO interface.
- I have connected the emio_enet_tsu_clk input to an external 100 MHz clock signal (fmio_gem_tsu_clk_from_pl and fmio_gem_tsu_clk_to_pl_bufg left unconnected).
- CONFIG_MACB_EXT_BD is enabled by default in the kernel configuration.
- I have added "tsu-clk = <100000000>;" to GEM3 definition in devitree.

Every time I start LinuxPTP I'm getting "missing timestamp on transmitted sync" message, and adding some printk to macb driver I can see the timestamp value read is always zero.

In fact, using phc_ctl and debugging messages added in the macb driver I can write the registers GEM_1588S and GEM_1588NS, but when I read them back I always read zeroes. It seems that the TSU timer is reset.

Am I missing something?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Problems using Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC GEM TSU for PTP

Hello @sergios_.  Did you ever get a solution?  I'm facing this problem now.

0 Kudos
Visitor sergios_
Visitor

Unfortunately I didn't get any answer from Xilinx.

We have this development stopped for the moment but if you find a solution please let me know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Thank you.

Would you mind telling me how you got the tsu-clk entry in the device tree?  I haven't seen that.  I asked the firmware developer to connect a clock, and I pulled the new HDF file into my petalinux project.  After that, the new device tree had some changed offsets and handles, but there was no new "tsu-clk" property in my device tree entry. 

I attempted to override this device tree entry with a system-user.dtsi entry that would contained a tsu-clk entry, but that failed (that seemed to move the offsets around, and after that, the ethernet device didn't work until I backed that change out)

So, I am unclear how "tsu-clk" is supposed to get into the device tree.

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Could you please try connecting fmio_gem_tsu_clk_from_pl and fmio_gem_tsu_clk_to_pl_bufg together? This is the recommended way to loopback the clk.

"Don't forget to reply, kudo and accept as solution."
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

It turns out my particular problem was getting the tsu-clk device node property for my ethernet device.

In order for PTP to work, your ethernet's node in the device tree must have a "tsu-clk" attribute.  You must add this manually, and no changes are needed to the hardware platform in vivado.

Since I haven't seen this anywhere online, I'll go ahead and post the procedure for adding it to a petalinux project here:

To add the tsu-clk entry to your device tree, edit project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/device-tree/files/system-user.dtsi so that it contains something like this:

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"
/ {
};
/ {

amba {
          ethernet@ff0e0000 {
                tsu-clk = <250000000>;
          };
     };
};

It will differ on your system.  You need to use dtc -I dtb -O dts system.dtb" to look at your existing device tree to see what ethernet device you are using.  The main idea is that you are adding the line "tsu-clk = <250000000>;" to your node.  The value 250000000 is the default for my system, and I had to go into vivado to find this out.

There were a few "ethernet" devices in my device tree, but I found there was only one ethernet device in the device tree with "status = "okay""

Reference: https://developer.toradex.com/device-tree-customization#overwriting-properties

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

I should also mention that the firmware/HDF that vivado outputs matters.  I have had this break the functionality of PTP.

Specifically, when I erroneously asked the firmware developer to add the clock to the gem tsu input, that seemed to break PTP.  When I added the tsu-clk entry to my device tree, things STILL didn't work.  I had to go back to a version of firmware before this change was made in order to get PTP working.

0 Kudos
Observer astone21480
Observer

I just got this working today with emio with 2018.3. I had to add property clock-frequency= <250000000> to the tsu_ext_clk node in my system-user.dtsi. I found this by putting debug statements in the macb_main.c. If anyone needs me to elaborate I can. Basically, you are seeing the ns increment register set back to 0 by the driver. It needs the tsu_rate and it isn't being set correctly on initialization. I also had problems with Petalinux not using the hdf register values. I had to use: https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842475/PetaLinux+Yocto+Tips

Section: 

How to update psu_init files in PetaLinux Project

do_compile_prepend(){
   install -m 0644 ${TOPDIR}/../project-spec/hw-description/psu_init.c ${B}/fsbl/psu_init.c
}
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Are all the necessary setting documented in the https://japan.xilinx.com/support/answers/67239.html?
If not, we would need to get it updated.
Would you please let me know where is the tsu_rate?

0 Kudos