cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

At one point, the image produced by Petalinux for my custom project was ~50MB in size. After I added some packages/modules, it shot up to 225MB. I am trying to bring the image size back down.

In UG1144, under "Managing Image Size", the only method listed is the removal of packages from the RootFS/Kernel.

I just removed 3 of the packages from the RootFS config menu, and rebuilt my project -- and it is the same size. Not even 1MB smaller.

What's going on here? Is it impossible to actually remove packages once they are included, or are the packages I removed just incredibly small? Is there a better way to figure out what is taking up all of that space?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

Well apparently you need to run a distclean to get rid of all the old packages you are no longer using.

Like so:

petalinux-build -x distclean

and then rebuild

petalinux-build

After I did that, my image size went back to 50MB. Problem solved.

If anyone from Xilinx sees this, I do think it should be mentioned in the "Managing Image Size" section of UG1144. Currently, it is not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

Well apparently you need to run a distclean to get rid of all the old packages you are no longer using.

Like so:

petalinux-build -x distclean

and then rebuild

petalinux-build

After I did that, my image size went back to 50MB. Problem solved.

If anyone from Xilinx sees this, I do think it should be mentioned in the "Managing Image Size" section of UG1144. Currently, it is not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos