UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer eliezer
Observer

Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

At one point, the image produced by Petalinux for my custom project was ~50MB in size. After I added some packages/modules, it shot up to 225MB. I am trying to bring the image size back down.

In UG1144, under "Managing Image Size", the only method listed is the removal of packages from the RootFS/Kernel.

I just removed 3 of the packages from the RootFS config menu, and rebuilt my project -- and it is the same size. Not even 1MB smaller.

What's going on here? Is it impossible to actually remove packages once they are included, or are the packages I removed just incredibly small? Is there a better way to figure out what is taking up all of that space?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer eliezer
Observer

Re: Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

Well apparently you need to run a distclean to get rid of all the old packages you are no longer using.

Like so:

petalinux-build -x distclean

and then rebuild

petalinux-build

After I did that, my image size went back to 50MB. Problem solved.

If anyone from Xilinx sees this, I do think it should be mentioned in the "Managing Image Size" section of UG1144. Currently, it is not.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer eliezer
Observer

Re: Removing Packages does not decrease image size (Petalinux)

Jump to solution

Well apparently you need to run a distclean to get rid of all the old packages you are no longer using.

Like so:

petalinux-build -x distclean

and then rebuild

petalinux-build

After I did that, my image size went back to 50MB. Problem solved.

If anyone from Xilinx sees this, I do think it should be mentioned in the "Managing Image Size" section of UG1144. Currently, it is not.

0 Kudos