Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

SPI flash on BlueCat, V5 and microblaze

Hi,

Does anyone have a solution to get SPI flash to work as MTD device on microblaze with BlueCat. I have modified my config file with following MTD options

CONFIG_MTD=y

CONFIG_MTD_CONCAT=y

CONFIG_MTD_PARTITIONS=y

CONFIG_MTD_CMDLINE_PARTS=y

CONFIG_MTD_CHAR=y

CONFIG_MTD_BLKDEVS=y

CONFIG_MTD_BLOCK=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI=y

CONFIG_MTD_GEN_PROBE=y

CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_1=y

CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_2=y

CONFIG_MTD_MAP_BANK_WIDTH_4=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I1=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_I2=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_INTELEXT=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_AMDSTD=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_STAA=y

CONFIG_MTD_CFI_UTIL=y

CONFIG_MTD_UCLINUX=y

CONFIG_MTD_M25P80=y

What else I have to do/modify?

My current kernel version is 2.6.13.4, should it be updated?

Thanks,

pltl

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

You may have to contac tLynuxworks for support with their product.

http://www.lynuxworks.com/embedded-linux/embedded-linux.php

I've used SPI flash with Xilinx boards, but I'm sure there are differences as 2.6.13 is pretty dusty.

You are correct to choose the M25P80 driver (probably, depending on your flash), but, you'll likely  have to patch the driver so that the manufacturer/device ID of the particular flash you are using is included. in drivers/mtd/devices/m25p80.c edit the m25p_data[] array you include your particular flavor of SPI flash.

In a modern kernel, the device tree is used to specify what hardware is present.  In these cases, you would need to manually edit the device tree to include the SPI flash (the XIlinx generator doesn't provide this mechanism). BlueCat, however, does not use a device tree.  I cant guess how you indicate that a SPI flash is present (probably in the kernel source directly), or whether or not their BSP generator provides a mechanism to do so. So I'd recommend you to peek at the BlueCat documentation.

-Brian

0 Kudos