UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Scripting boot image creation via Petalinux

I've scripted the entire processes to build new images, with 1 exception.

When my script runs the "petalinux-config --get-hw-description" command, it automatically loads a GUI to configure petalinux system settings. I dont want this GUI to pop up since im handling configuration a seperate method. I was unable to find any documentation providing details with how to 'sceltch' or skip the automatic GUI popup.

Any Ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Scripting boot image creation via Petalinux

@justinlh

Good to know that you have created a script to the entire petalinux image creation flow, will you be able to share so that it helps to the other users.

I will verify if there is an option to disable the Petalinux-config GUI pop-up.

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Unfortunatly im not authorized to release company IP, however i feel it is reasonable to discuss the processes. Which is relativly simple, and can be found on page 5 of UG1156. These steps work for 2015.2 Petalinux.

1) I generate a petalinux project template

petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name petalinux-project

2) If custom logic has been built in vivado, placing the .hdf file inside the new template project and running

petalinux-config --get-hw-description *** This is the step that always loads the GUI that i want to remove ***

3) Any additional system/kernel/rootfs configuration changes can be made now

petalinux-config / petalinux-config -c kernel / petalinux-config -c rootfs

4) Build the petalinux-project

petalinux-build

5) Package the built components into its associated boot image

petalinux-package --boot --fsbl /path/to/fsbl.elf --fpga /path/to/hw/bit/file --u-boot

At this point we now have a image.ub and a boot.bin that placing both of them onto an SD Card will allow the board to boot. I've glossed over some of the minor details but for the most part this is the processes that any script will run to help automate this processes.

0 Kudos
Visitor ryan_seal
Visitor

The --oldconfig option will use what's already been configured will bypass the GUI, if that's what you want to do. 

0 Kudos
Observer harkness
Observer

I automate this build step by piping 2 escape characters into the ncurses TUI.

echo ^e^e | petalinux-config --get-hw-description -p .

This is of course using a predefined config file

cp ../support/petalinux_config $peta_proj/project-spec/configs/config
0 Kudos