UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor kiranpanch
Visitor

Second stage bootloader for zynq ultrascale

I am new to the Xilinx hardware. We are trying to implement a second stage bootloader[EL3] for
handling some specific initialization before starting uboot on cortex-a53.

- Can we boot linux without ARM Trusted Firmware? If yes what are the minimal configuration I need to take care
to start uboot from our second stage bootloader?

- It would be very helpful if I could get some references to application notes or manuals

Setup I am using:
ZCU102 development kit
Xilinx SDK
Vivado
petalinux tools

Regards,
Kiran

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Second stage bootloader for zynq ultrascale

I don’t think that is possible to boot without atf. What do you need to do that can’t be done in u-boot? It is possible the create a custom fsbl, I did something like this to load images to DDR over PCIe on a 7000. Also, I haven’t done this, but you can create a SPL u-boot image and this replace the fsbl.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Visitor kiranpanch
Visitor

Re: Second stage bootloader for zynq ultrascale

Thanks for your time!

It would have been better if we could bypass ATF.

I am not sure if I can perform my functions in Uboot which would be in EL2/EL1. I need to access few trust zone registers for security configuration before loading the low priority software stack.

However using a custom FSBL could be an option. Similar to that, using my code as secondary boot loader(at EL3) would keep the vendor provided FSBL untouched.

Regards,

Kiran

0 Kudos