UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Two oddities(?) with PetaLinux 2019.2 installer

A couple curiosities with PetaLinux 2019.2 installer (maybe I'm just doing something weird):

1) Installer ignores supplied destination directory -- insists you haven't supplied one and will install in current directory.

2) Installer doesn't ask for choice of architectures -- insists on installing all four.

Thoughts? Anyone else seeing this?

rday

8 Replies
Observer dyessgg
Observer

Re: Two oddities(?) with PetaLinux 2019.2 installer

I've seen the same thing since 2019.1.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Ah, so it's a known issue starting in 2019.1 ... I wouldn't have noticed that as I went straight from 2018.2 to 2019.2 ... both of these things seemed to work fine in 2018.2, unless I am drastically misremembering. Thanks.

rday

0 Kudos
Observer dyessgg
Observer

That is my recollection as well.  It worked correctly in 2018.x but fails in 2019.x.  It's nowhere in the release notes, known issues or even in searches of Xilinx web site.  I can't imagine something as basic as this slipping through Xilinx's QA.  Any OOB testing would have nailed this immediately!

On the bright side 2019.2 installs MUCH faster because it doesn't sit there for minutes validating the installation file.  Good job Xilinx!

Contributor
Contributor

I'd like to know if there is a resolution to the first issue -- that the installer totally ignores the argument of installation directory -- as I have just joined a project, we are upgrading from 2018.2 to 2019.2, and this project incorporates an automated installation that assumes a specified install directory, so this will totally screw the automation scripts. Surely there is a fix for this, as this is a fairly significant flaw.

rday

0 Kudos
Observer dyessgg
Observer

I don't even think Xilinx has acknowledged this as a defect/issue.  Other than the community forums, I can't find this referenced anywhere on Xilinx's website.  It's definitely not in the release notes.

I've not looked at the installer script to see if there is something funny there.

0 Kudos

Hi @rpjday  @dyessgg 

1. I am able to run the petalinux installer after specifying the directory. 

Example: ./petalinux-v2019.2-final-installer.run install/

Please provide the details on how you are trying out at your end?

2. We don't have support on the choices of architecture as of this release.

Please do let me know if you have any concerns

Best Regards

Shabbir

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Specifying an install location works fine on my (admittedly unsupported) Fedora 30 system; I believe I had problems on my Ubuntu  18.04.3 machine; I'll have to test that when I get back to the office.

rday

0 Kudos
Observer dyessgg
Observer

Every time I tried installing, it ignored the path arguement.  That is until I retested again today.  I tried again from the SAME distro on Ubuntu 18.04 and both 2019.1 and 2019.2 installed correctly into the directory specified.

I'm going to try it again on my main development system this afternoon.

0 Kudos