UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

U-Boot from Petalinux 2016.1 has broken Ethernet support

Hi all,

I'm upgrading a working Petalinux 2015.4 design to 2016.1 and have hit a problem with the u-boot version that comes with this edition of Petalinux. The Ethernet interface isn't found. Booting with the old u-boot.elf from 2015.4 and the new Petalinux image works fine, so it's not a HW problem. I'm using the ZC706 board.

In u-boot 2016.1, when I run env print, the ethact variable does not appear the way it did in 2015.4. When booted, u-boot displays:

In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Net:   No ethernet found.
U-BOOT for FMCOMMS_DEMO_Petalinux_2016.1

I've ran petalinux-config -c u-boot and have set everything to target the zc706. I've also created a new petalinux project and did petalinux-config only. I've tried it with DHCP, and alternatively with ipaddr set. That shows up in env print, but no ethernet is found...

This should not be this difficult. What happened between the 2015.4 and 2016.1 that broke Ethernet support in u-boot? Does anyone have working ethernet/tftp in Petalinux 2016.1, and if so, what config file was used?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: U-Boot from Petalinux 2016.1 has broken Ethernet support

I want to add that the version of u-boot from the Xilinx Git tree - https://github.com/Xilinx/u-boot-xlnx - compiles and runs fine. Xilinx has broken the u-boot configuration specifically under Petalinux, which is a shame...

Hopefully someone there can take a look and provide a working config for u-boot under petalinux 2016.1, else it will remain broken.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Isn't there someone at Xilinx that cares about Petalinux?! This is ridiculous. Even the ZC706 BSP's own config files for u-boot don't work, although the pre-compiled one does... How can Xilinx give out working binaries without giving users the ability to successfully compile the code on their own? It's an open source product!!!

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

I put in a workaround with some bash scripting, using the u-boot downloadable from the Xilinx Git tree, so now the released Petalinux u-boot doesn't get used in my build. That's what I suggest people do moving forward for Petalinux 2016.1 until Xilinx patches it, or releases Petalinux 2016.3, with this hopefully taken care of.

Completely possible that this is a bug on my end, but no idea where it could be - I can get builds to work on my config files, but only outside of Petalinux. Doing:

petalinux-build -c u-boot -x distclean && petalinux-build -c u-boot

leads to badness.

0 Kudos