UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer kjb
Observer

U-Boot no output

Jump to solution

Dear Community,

I am embarassed to have to ask such a question, but I cannot manage to get an output from u-boot.

I built an XPS design for an ML605 board with the 14.7 toolkit. The design is very constraint on timing, hence I had to put pipeline registers on pretty much every port in the design, i.e. all ports are fully registered on the AXI and AXI_lite busses. I am aware that this is not recommended, but I am certain that it still results in a working design.

Exporting to SDK is working as intended and we have built a custom SREC bootloader that is based on the standard template from SDK. The bootloader is turning off an adc via SPI before esuming normal operation in reading the u-boot.rec file from an attached flash card.

The srec bootloader operates normally, I can see the output via UART and see everything up to handing off to u-boot. This is the output captured using "screen" on a linux terminal:

ADC Power Down
Initializing SPI: Success!
Resetting SPI!
Starting Device: Success!
Going into Master mode : Success!
Disabling Interrupts!
Done setting up SPI!
-------------

Slaves detected: 00000004

Powering down slave 00000000: 
 - Selecting Slave: Success!
 - ADC Power Down: Success!
Powering down slave 00000001: 
Powering down slave 00000002: 
Powering down slave 00000003: 

All slaves powered down. Resetting device: Success!Power down success

SREC Bootloader
Loading SREC image from flash @ address: 90000000
Reading SRECORDS from Compact Flash file bist\xlnxc.rec:

888034 bytes read from file. SRECORDS at: 0x90000000
Bootloader: Processed (0x)00004847 S-records
Executing program starting at address: 82000000

As you can see the u-boot does not continue to any output.. Since one does not see any garbage output I rule out that it is an incorrect BAUD rate.

The Uboot has been built using these instructions: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build+U-Boot

The xparameters.h and config.mk generated by the bsp are attached

my cross compile prefix is CROSS_COMPILE=microblazeel-xilinx-linux-gnu-

I had to make a few changes to the microblaze-generic.c and the microblaze-generic.h (I attached them. Changed are marked with EDIT: kjbrunner).

No other changes have been made.

I have to admit, that I am working on a ubuntu 14.04 64bit as this is my system here. I had to install the following packages as drop in replacements for

Dear Community,

I am embarassed to have to ask such a question, but I cannot manage to get an output from u-boot.

I built an XPS design for an ML605 board with the 14.7 toolkit. The design is very constraint on timing, hence I had to put pipeline registers on pretty much every port in the design, i.e. all ports are fully registered on the AXI and AXI_lite busses. I am aware that this is not recommended, but I am certain that it still results in a working design.

Exporting to SDK is working as intended and we have built a custom SREC bootloader that is based on the standard template from SDK. The bootloader is turning off an adc via SPI before esuming normal operation in reading the u-boot.rec file from an attached flash card.

The srec bootloader operates normally, I can see the output via UART and see everything up to handing off to u-boot. This is the output captured using "screen" on a linux terminal:

ADC Power Down
Initializing SPI: Success!
Resetting SPI!
Starting Device: Success!
Going into Master mode : Success!
Disabling Interrupts!
Done setting up SPI!
-------------

Slaves detected: 00000004

Powering down slave 00000000: 
Powering down slave 00000001: 
Powering down slave 00000002: 
Powering down slave 00000003: 

All slaves powered down. Resetting device: Success!Power down success

SREC Bootloader
Loading SREC image from flash @ address: 90000000
Reading SRECORDS from Compact Flash file bist\xlnxc.rec:

888034 bytes read from file. SRECORDS at: 0x90000000
Bootloader: Processed (0x)00004847 S-records
Executing program starting at address: 82000000

As you can see the u-boot does not continue to any output.. Since one does not see any garbage output I rule out that it is an incorrect BAUD rate.

The Uboot has been built using these instructions: http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/Build+U-Boot

The xparameters.h and config.mk generated by the bsp are attached

my cross compile prefix is CROSS_COMPILE=microblazeel-xilinx-linux-gnu-

(I also tried CROSS_COMPILE=microblaze-xilinx-linux-gnu- for checking, but that crashes u-boot immediately)

I had to make a few changes to the microblaze-generic.c and the microblaze-generic.h (I attached them. Changed are marked with EDIT: kjbrunner).

No other changes have been made.

I have to admit, that I am working on a ubuntu 14.04 64bit as this is my system here. I had to install the following packages as drop in replacements for the ia32-lib that does not exist in 14.04 any more.

sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32stdc++6

I have tried solving this issue for weeks now and failed. I apologize if there is a very simple solution that I am not seeing, but I am incredibly thankful for any help you can give me.

If you need more information, I am very willing to provide your with it.

Thanks in advance for taking the time.

PS: I am aware uploading zip files is dodgy, but the Forum wouldn't let me attach .h and .c files

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer kjb
Observer

Re: U-Boot no output -> timer interrupt blocking processor

Jump to solution

So I just found the problem....

Indeed the interrupts where not acknowledged correctly, which made the processor issue the same interrupt continuously, however the problem was not the code in U-boot, but the fact that the now updated version of the interrupt controller in XPS requires a processor clock and reset connected to it. Even though you can configure the core to have it not attached (which I did, because that is the way it was in the old ISE 12.4 design, which I updated)  the result is a non working interrupt that does not get cleared correctly(This resulting behaviour is not mentioned in the documentation at all btw.).

I will accept this as the solution!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Observer kjb
Observer

Re: U-Boot no output

Jump to solution

Sorry I just realized, that the post repeats half way in between. Unfortunately I cannot edit it.

0 Kudos
Observer kjb
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi there,

So I managed to get an output out of U-boot. It turns out that the reson for not getting any output was actually the timer interrupt. I reverted to an older version of the u-boot that I knew gave me at least some output and found found that output stopped after a short while.

It took me a while to figure out the reason for stopping output and it appears as though there is a problem with the timer interrupt.

After getting an initial UART output I traced the problem through the U-boot initialization routine using "puts(..)" statements:

<previous outputs from SREC bootloader>

Executing program starting at address: 82000000 ------------------------- U-BOOT UART inited: Welcome to U-boot! memalloc init completed, now running init sequenc Initializing Interrupts.INTC isr 0, ier 0, iar 0, mer 3 .Interrupts enabled! Timer initiation... setting registers resetting timer installing interrupt handler checking irq out of range enable irc... Enabling one Interrupt! offset <<= irq mask = intc->ier intc->ier = (mask | offset)
INTC isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3 Interrupt handler on 2 line, r14 8201623c Jumping to interrupt handler routine addr 8202c2d8,count 0,arg 41c00000 Dump INTC reg, isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3 Interrupt handler on 2 line, r14 8201623c INTC isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3 Interrupt handler on 2 line, r14 82000258 Jumping to interrupt handler routine addr 8202c2d8,count 1,arg 41c00000 Dump INTC reg, isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3 
Interrupt handler on 2 line, r14 8201623c
INTC isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3 Interrupt handler on 2 line, r14 82000258 
Jumping to interrupt handler routine addr 8202c2d8,count 2,arg 41c00000

<and so on>

It appears as though the initialization routines are progressing until they hit the timer interrupt registration.

However as soon as this command is called intc->ier = (mask | offset) (As far as I can tell ier is the interrupt enable register) the processor appears to be busy handling the interrupt requests and does not continue normal code (I do have a control output right after the above command). The timer_isr function is called normally, so as far as I can tell the interrupt is actually handled correctly.

Unfortunately I am not very proficient at this. A lot of googling brought up the idea of clearing the interrupt acknoledge. From the "microblaze-timer.h" file I can tell that iar is that register, which makes me think that in the above output the second output should change:

Dump INTC reg, isr 4, ier 4, iar 0, mer 3
to
INTC isr 4, ier 4, iar 1, mer 3

I would have expected this to work out of the box, however obviously it is not. What is the proper procedure to acknowledge the interrupt request to make sure u-boot can continue normally.

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Observer kjb
Observer

Jump to solution

So I am punching further through the code. These are the critical lines in the interrupt_handler (void) function in <interrupts.c> that I suspect are not working (mind you, this is my lack of knowledge talking).

act->handler (act->arg);
    act->count++;

intc->iar = mask << irqs;

The act-> handler is calling timer_isr from <timer.c> correctly and according to the previous outputs the act-> count++ is working as well. However mask << irqs is 4, however intc->iar stays 0 no matter what.

- Is this correct behaviour?

- If so, why is the processor not continuing the serial code after the interrupt_handler function exits?

0 Kudos
Observer kjb
Observer

Jump to solution

So I just found the problem....

Indeed the interrupts where not acknowledged correctly, which made the processor issue the same interrupt continuously, however the problem was not the code in U-boot, but the fact that the now updated version of the interrupt controller in XPS requires a processor clock and reset connected to it. Even though you can configure the core to have it not attached (which I did, because that is the way it was in the old ISE 12.4 design, which I updated)  the result is a non working interrupt that does not get cleared correctly(This resulting behaviour is not mentioned in the documentation at all btw.).

I will accept this as the solution!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos