UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor axeldutr
Visitor

U-boot doesn't boot

Hi everyone,

I try to build a linux system for a custom board which is using a zynq chip. I'm aiming to run a very simple kernel, for handling file system, classic peripherals, and so on. For this purpose, I'm using petalinux 2015.2 suite.
After configuring and exporting my PS configuration with vivado, I use the UG1144 for creating/compiling the OS.

For a debug purpose, I use xmd for initializing the PS, downloading and running the u-boot.elf file. Then on my terminal I get this message :

"

U-Boot 2015.04 (Oct 20 2015 - 15:26:22)

DRAM:  ECC disabled 512 MiB"

... and that all.

It seems that my u-boot is stuck in DRAM or a further check ...

I have already checked the RAM system which is properly working with baremetal applications.
I've also tried several manipulation over my hardware configuration (including / not including PS peripherials) for avoiding this freeze, whithout any succes.

Does someone already get this issue ?

What are the steps in U-boot execution ?

There is a way for avoiding some non critical check ?

Thanks !

Axel

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Observer naveeng
Observer

Re: U-boot doesn't boot

Hi Axel,

What are your DDR configurations? Can you please share your log for more insight?

Is your DDR memory accessible from u-boot like reading registers etc? You said you are using petalinux 2015.2. Can you please try the same with Petalinux 2015.2.1 which has some issues(2015.2) fixed?

Thanks,

Naveen

0 Kudos
Visitor joe.davidson
Visitor

I have a similar problem but in my case there is no terminal I/O when the con command is issued in XMD.  The ps7_init.tcl is based on the Vivado hardware description and appears to be initialized correctly because we can read from the memory. 

When the con command is issued the Processor appears to start with no problems.  Monitoring the serial port with Picocom there is no u-boot activity (correct or incorrect characters) in the terminal window.  Any suggestions on the best way to debug u-boot terminal I/O problems would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Joe

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

does the terminal every work?  Like if you compile memtst or dramtst in xsdk, or if you enable debug output in the FSBL?  What is your clock rate?   Usually you see garbage if the clock is wrong, which is what I was seeing, however the hardcoded for the zynq platforms in u-boot to be 33MHz(something like that I don't have the code) but ours was 38 something so I had to modify our config in u-boot to fix it.

jeff

0 Kudos
Visitor joe.davidson
Visitor

The terminal I/O appears to work correctly when the Xilinx memory tests are compiled and downloaded through XMD debugger.  Hello World does not have any terminal I/O using the XMD debugger.  I have also tried several versions of Vivado, 2014.4, 2016.2, etc and all appear to have the same problem,  No Terminal I/O during u-boot initialization and several test cases with simple terminal I/O programs. 

Basically what I would like to see is the Zynq u-boot initialization on the terminal and then be able to access the various u-boot commands.  Enabling the SDK FSBL_DEBUG compiler flag does not change the way u-boot logs the header data to the terminal (No output with or without FSBL_DEBUG).   Any suggestions on enabling u-boot terminal I/O and the command prompt would be appreciated.

Joe

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Do you see FSBL logs when when enable FSBL_DEBUG(also try FSBL_DEBUG_INFO)?  If you don't see those, then you won't see anything from u-boot.  u-boot output and command prompt are enabled by default as far as I have seen.  What is your PS clock freq?

jeff

0 Kudos