UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uartlite kernel error

uartlite_bd.pngBlock Diagram

I have an external device I am trying to talk to using the uart lite core. The only other UARTs in the design are the two PS UARTs. You can see my block diagram above.

I am using Petalinux. I believe that I have the device tree setting correct. While the kernel is booting I get this error message:

[ 4.094996] Serial: 8250/16550 driver, 4 ports, IRQ sharing disabled
[ 4.096406] uartlite a0010000.serial: ttyUL2 too large
[ 4.096454] uartlite: probe of a0010000.serial failed with error -22

I have not been able to solve this problem. In the kernel configuration I have increased the max number of UARTs to 16 everywhere I could find. That has not solved this problem. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor jol14
Visitor

Re: Uartlite kernel error

I had this error before. It is causes by the following definition in the uartlite.c driver

#define ULITE_NR_UARTS        CONFIG_SERIAL_UARTLITE_NR_UARTS

This parameter can be found in the "petalinux-config -c kernel" command:

│ Symbol: SERIAL_UARTLITE_NR_UARTS [=1]                                                                                                                                                                │  
  │ Type  : integer                                                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │ Range : [1 256]                                                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │ Prompt: Maximum number of uartlite serial ports                                                                                                                                                      │  
  │   Location:                                                                                                                                                                                          │  
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                                                                                                                │  
  │       -> Character devices                                                                                                                                                                           │  
  │         -> Serial drivers                                                                                                                                                                            │  
  │ (1)       -> Xilinx uartlite serial port support (SERIAL_UARTLITE [=m])                                                                                                                              │  
  │   Defined at drivers/tty/serial/Kconfig:633                                                                                                                                                          │  
  │   Depends on: TTY [=y] && HAS_IOMEM [=y] && SERIAL_UARTLITE [=m]

If this didn't solve your problem you may consider upgrading to 2018.3.

They removed this parameter from the driver and configuration menu.

0 Kudos

I believe that these parameters are set correctly. Please see below to confirm. The error still persists.

kernelConfig.png

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi dustin.nicholes@gmail.com,

- Please follow the below wiki link for test procedure

https://xilinx-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/A/pages/18842249/Uartlite+Driver

Best Regards
Abhinay PS
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos