Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
galenthas
Visitor
Visitor

Updating Existing Recipe from Another Branch

Hello,

I am following the petalinux flow using petalinux ver 2019.1.

Currently this release is packed with VLC version 2.2.2 from meta-openembedded thud branch.

I need to update VLC to 3.x version. I tried cloning the warrior branch for this specific recipe but the tools didn't let me add this user layer as it is not compatible with thud.

How can I update VLC from another recipe?

Best Regards.

Mustafa

0 Kudos
4 Replies
koog1000
Visitor
Visitor

I had a similar issue with Gunicorn, Petalinux includes version 19.1.1, which is 6 years old and only used for python2. What I had to do was to create a valid recipe and then place it in meta-user layer (./project/spec/meta-user/recipes-apps) and then in the layer.conf of the meta-user layer I added the PREFFERED_VERSION for  my gunicorn recipe.

Your meta-user layer should look something like this:

meta-user
├── conf
│   ├── layer.conf
│   ├── petalinuxbsp.conf
│   └── user-rootfsconfig
├── COPYING.MIT
├── README
├── recipes-apps
   └── vlc
   ├── vlc_<version>.bb
   └── README  

and layer.conf should have a line similar to:

PREFERRED_VERSION_vlc = "<version>"

0 Kudos

@koog1000 

Thank you.
Could you share the contents of the files

• vlc_<version>.bb
  • layer.conf
  • petalinuxbsp.conf
  • user-rootfsconfig

or the required modifications as a reference?

0 Kudos
koog1000
Visitor
Visitor

All of those files, except the vlc bitbake recipe, are auto generated by the petalinux project. I can't tell you what would go in the vlc bitbake recipe because I never made one (If you read my previous post, I made a recipe to include a new version of gunicorn, not vlc). If I were to make a recipe for vlc, I would start by looking at an existing bitbake recipe for vlc:

http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-multimedia/recipes-multimedia/vlc/vlc_3.0.11.bb?h=master

Other than that you need to add a line to the layer.conf as called out in my previous post.

0 Kudos
koog1000
Visitor
Visitor

It looks ok to me. I would try cleaning your build and rebuilding. From there I would try explicitly putting the chrony subfolder into the chrony bitbake script.

0 Kudos