UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant epeach
Participant

Use Keyboard and Monitor with Petalinux instead of UART Console

Jump to solution

Good evening, I'm getting started customizing PetaLinux so I can run by board as a standalone system.

Currently, I:

• Use the ZCU111 Board Support Package for PetaLinux
  • Create a PetaLinux image using the BSP, and generally keep all settings default, however
    • I do have it configured to use a root filesystem that is already on my SD Card.
  • Boot from SD Card

If I have PuTTY hooked up via UART onto the board, I can see that linux boots up and I'm delivered to the login prompt where I can log in as root. I also have an external monitor hooked up via DisplayPort, and I can see kernel information being printed to the monitor.

How do I get the login prompt to appear on the external monitor, so I can log in with keyboard and don't need the serial cable? (the monitor responds when I connect and remove the USB keyboard)

My current bootargs:

earlycon earlyprintk root=/dev/mmcblk0p3 rw rootwait cma=1152M

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Participant epeach
Participant

Re: Use Keyboard and Monitor with Petalinux instead of UART Console

Jump to solution

So I eventually figured it out. The correct command is

$ /sbin/agetty tty0

With notable variations being "getty" "agetty" and occasionally with an "&" afterwards if the console hangs.

Usually you place this command in a startup script so that for a given monitor configuration, the system wakes up and displays a login prompt on the desired monitor.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Participant epeach
Participant

Re: Use Keyboard and Monitor with Petalinux instead of UART Console

Jump to solution

So I eventually figured it out. The correct command is

$ /sbin/agetty tty0

With notable variations being "getty" "agetty" and occasionally with an "&" afterwards if the console hangs.

Usually you place this command in a startup script so that for a given monitor configuration, the system wakes up and displays a login prompt on the desired monitor.

0 Kudos