cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

WARNING: Will not program bistream on the target - rename bitstream file

Because the following post was "solved", I cannot post to it anymore.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/WARNING-Will-not-program-bitstream-on-the-target/m-p/565510#M12018

Here is the response I was trying to post.

@Anonymous... Simply put... you are amazing. I don't know why anyone else on here hasn't marked this as the solution. I do not understand why this works, but doing just as you said makes the "FPGA DONE" light on my PicoZed Carrier Card gen2 light up.

Unfortunately, the kernel still does not boot, but I'll post that as a separate question.

Dear Xilinx...

I'm using the step on page 28 of the v2017.4 ug1144 (Dec 20, 2017):

petalinux-package --prebuilt --fpga /home/me/dev/petalinux_projects/my_project_name/images/linux/system_wrapper.bit

You need to recognize this issue! The warning message that we are encountering must be old because:

1. It contains a typo "prebuitl".
  2. It recommends using the --bitsream option, which does not exist for the petalinux-package --prebuilt.  Digging around I discovered it's supposed to refer to the petalinux-boot command instead.

And then add in the response by @Anonymous about having to rename the system_wrapper.bit to download.bit... why does this work and why will it not work with the original bitstream name?

$ petalinux-boot --jtag --prebuilt 3
WARNING: Will not program bitstream on the target. If you want to program bitstream,
WARNING: please run petalinux-package --prebuilt to put the bitstream to the prebuitl directory,
WARNING: or use --fpga --bitstream option to specify a bitstream.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: WARNING: Will not program bistream on the target - rename bitstream file

when you run petalinux-boot --jtag.. This is using a XSCT tool and a script to to boot the linux, similar to the script below (this is for Zynq Ultrascale). So, Im guessing that the script being used is expecting the bit file to be called download.bit. You can verify this in the script that is generated

petalinux-boot --jtag --tcl log.txt

Check the fpga command used here to see what file name it expects..

connect
targets -set -filter {name =~ "MicroBlaze PMU"}
dow pmufw.elf
con
targets -set -filter {name =~ "PSU"}
fpga -f download.bit
# disable isolation for PL
mask_write 0XFFD80118 0x00800000 0x00800000
mask_write 0XFFD80120 0x00800000 0x00800000
# write bootloop and release A53-0 reset
mwr 0xffff0000 0x14000000
mwr 0xFD1A0104 0x380E