UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

What is the Petalinux ?

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I am VIVADO 2018.2 and Ubuntu on Virtualbox -- Install Petalinux 2018.2.

I am working a project with Ultra 96 and I have to use petalinux to create a SD-Card.

But I dont know what is the petalinux ?

I have used a design with VIVADO.At SDK I have created BOOT.BIN ( from FSBL and fpga.bit ) and then 

I copy to SD-Card with application(about control UserLeds) on SDK,the board Ultra96 was activate,I still have not used PETALINUX.I dont know, the petalinux will be use for what ?

Please give some ideal,

Thank you very much,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: What is the Petalinux ?

Jump to solution

Yes, that's correct. Just put attention in the buildroot step, you may want to integrate Apache from petalinux-config buildroot before using petalinux-build.

/* Don't forget to give kudos and/or accept as a solution */
13 Replies

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Shabbirk,

Thank you for answer,

I have readed your page but I still not understand,

So can you tell some important ideal and please answer my question at above,

I can find out an ideal when you answer me,

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

0 Kudos
Newbie baldwin256

Jump to solution

The PetaLinux Software Development Kit (SDK) is a Xilinx development tool that contains everything necessary to build, develop, test and deploy Embedded Linux systems.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Petalinux is a tool you use to customise, build and deploy Embedded Linux solutions on Xilinx processing systems.  It is an Embedded Linux Systems Development Kit that targets Xilinx SoC designs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Jlarkin,

Thank your answer,

1)It's mean,when I download to SD-Card, I can use Putty or Tera Term to control zynq ?,is that right?

Because I don't understand,SD-card has two path, One FAT and one Rootft.FAT are used for BOOT.BIN and Image.ub.

Rootft are used for what ?.I want to use APACHE, i dont know,i will put APACHE where?,that is an example,

2)  The difference between 2 method :

a) Create BOOT.BIN and FSBL on SDK - Xilinx (Window OS)

b)Create BOOT.BIN using Ultra96.bsp  ,petalinux-create,petalinux-build ........ 

If you have some ideal,please tell me,

Thank you very much,

vanloc

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

1)It's mean,when I download to SD-Card, I can use Putty or Tera Term to control zynq ?,is that right?

Because I don't understand,SD-card has two path, One FAT and one Rootft.FAT are used for BOOT.BIN and Image.ub.

Rootft are used for what ?.I want to use APACHE, i dont know,i will put APACHE where?,that is an example,

Thank you very much,

vanloc

Petalinux is mainly a set of tools and preconfigured settings (in kernel, uboot, etc) that help you to deploy your SW/HW designs quickly without worrying about Linux boot issues. Is an embedded Linux distro maintained by Xilinx.

If you haven't used embedded Linux yet, you may want to familiarize with it, use google to find any tutorial, there are a lot of them out there. The two partitions are used to boot and store the kernel (partition 0) and to store the root file system (partition 1). The root file system (rootfs) is where all OS binaries, file structure and data is stored. Answering your question, apache must be installed in the RootFS. Any user application that is executed by the OS needs to be installed in RootFS.

Thank you very much,

vanloc

That depends on how are you trying to boot, but I don't want to confuse you. When you use Petalinux, you need a Board Support Package (BSP) to tell Linux what devices are you using, the memory map and ranges of them, some settings of your processor and a shiped, preconfigured Linux image that serves as a proof of that BSP works. You need to use petalinux-create and petalinux-build if you want to run apache on your Zynq, these tools will give you a bootable Linux with all Zynq outputs you need (boot.bin, FSBL, fpga.bit, etc).

If yoou have further question, I'll suggest to read first the Petalinux User Guide and follow the tutorial. After that all doubts will be cleared.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Diego,

That's great,thank your answer,

Issue 2:

I don't want to use Ultra96.bsp,that's right ? I want to create a new project at VIVADO --> SDK,at SDK I can create BOOT.BIN and FSBL

and I will use ShareFolder of Virtualbox,and using petalinux-package --boot --fsbl ........Is that right?

And If I want to adjust .bsp file and then I will use Sharefolder again,that's right ?

Because I still have not know,creating a new project at VIVADO and using ShareFolder,I am not sure it right ?

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

@vanloc_tc1 wrote:

Hi Diego,

That's great,thank your answer,

Issue 2:

I don't want to use Ultra96.bsp,that's right ? I want to create a new project at VIVADO --> SDK,at SDK I can create BOOT.BIN and FSBL

and I will use ShareFolder of Virtualbox,and using petalinux-package --boot --fsbl ........Is that right?

And If I want to adjust .bsp file and then I will use Sharefolder again,that's right ?

Because I still have not know,creating a new project at VIVADO and using ShareFolder,I am not sure it right ?

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

No. I'm pretty sure you are confusing using Linux in your machine to use Linux on Zynq. Let's think about it for a second. If your main goal is to launch Apache from your board, then what are the requirements of apache to run?

1) A Linux operating System on which Apache can run.

2) A networking filesystem on which Apache can service requests.

3) A storage device on wich Apache can store any data.

Do you think you can accomplish by using SDK to generate a boot image?, of what?. Now I'm requesting you to go and read the Petalinux User Guide first, you must do it.

You do need to use the provided bsp for 96 boards, there's no other way for you to go. Forget about SDK for now.

If 96boards have ethernet support on the BSP, then you don't need to create any Vivado project, you can easily boot Linux on your Zynq device by using Petallinux to read the hardware present on the BSP, generate a Device Tree and cross compile the kernel and RootFS to finally create a BOOT.bin that already have the default FSBL, the bitstream of the BSP, the elf of Linux kernel and the Uboot bootloader. Then you can copy these files to your SDCard, insert the card to the board and a serial to your pc. You'll see Petalinux booting.

If you want to achieve your goal, do me a favor. Go over this PDF and make all excercises there. I promise you will achieve your goal today if you follow my advise.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_3/ug1156-petalinux-tools-workflow-tutorial.pdf

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Diego,

Thank you very much because your help,

I will read your ideal although I have readed before,

I will comeback ,

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Diego,

I have readed Petalinux workflow , I think I have understand somthing.

1)About Bsp.This is a project of Product availble wifi,uart,.....We just need copy to petalinux and use

petalinux-create  ---> petalinux-build ---> petalinux-package.Then download to SD-Card.

2)About Hardware VIVADO.I will create a project from VIVADO and Export to petalinux and then we will use some commands to build.Hardware VIVADO requires 4 condition. And then Download to SD-card : BOOT(1GB) - rootFs(~4GB)

That is my ideal,Do you think it is correct ?

Thank you for your helps,

vanloc,

Anh_Hardware_Vivado.JPG
Anh_Rebuilding.JPG
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Yes, that's correct. Just put attention in the buildroot step, you may want to integrate Apache from petalinux-config buildroot before using petalinux-build.

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Diego,

Can You tell me How to export VIVADO(WindowOS) --> Petalinux ?

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

Capture_Import.JPG
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Diego,

Sorry because I bother you again,

When I am using command Petalinu-config --get-hw-description = < .hdf >

At this project,at SDK i have created a blink Led project,

I dont know because I just export .hdf file,how to Blink Led can use ?

Thank you very much,

vanloc,

0 Kudos