cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lmu@silicom.dk
Observer
Observer

Wholesale kernel config file in PetaLinux 2020.2

The idea of doing incremental changes to the final kernel .config using fragments is confusing at best. Merging the fragments is error prone and I do not want to keep the many fragments around for every time I reconfigure the kernel.

Therefor I tried using defconfig file as described here:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/3.1/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#changing-the-configuration

So now I save my kernel config to defconfig in project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx and add that to SRC_URI in linux-xlnx_%.bbappend.

After a complete rebuild I compare the defconfig file with /proc/config.gz and to my big surprise they are not the same!!!

All of the sudden I got XEN enabled? The diff between the two configs are 80 lines, so most is as expected. I do have configured my system with kernel autoconfig off.

How can I create and use a full kernel configuration that I can trust is not getting messed up and modified by PetaLinux?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
varalaxm
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

We are resolving this fragmentation issues in 2021.1.

For 2020.2 to replace the your own defconfig can you please use petalinux-config -> Linux Configuration -> linux config target instead adding in bbappend through src_uri. It will completely replace xilinx defconfig and replace your own config.

Regards,

Varalaxmi 

0 Kudos
sandeepg

Hi lmu@silicom.dk ,

Can you share your config and bbappend files?

Thanks,
Sandeep
PetaLinux Yocto | Embedded SW Support

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to Reply, Kudo, and Accept as Solution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
lmu@silicom.dk
Observer
Observer

Hi Sandeep

bbappend file:

$ cat project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx_%.bbappend

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"

SRC_URI += "file://defconfig"

Defconfig is placed in project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/defconfig and is attached (and renamed to defconfig.txt) as requested.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lmu@silicom.dk
Observer
Observer

Hi varalaxm

I tried setting:

CONFIG_SUBSYSTEM_LINUX_CONFIG_TARGET="${PROOT}/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/defconfig"

But got the error:

ERROR: linux-xlnx-5.4+gitAUTOINC+62ea514294-r0 do_kernel_metadata: A KBUILD_DEFCONFIG '/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-xlnx/defconfig' was specified, but not present in the source tree

Where should the defconfig file be placed?

Thanks

0 Kudos