Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
felix.schneider
Visitor
Visitor

Yocto general workflow instead of petalinux

Hello,

I've tried petalinux on my Ultra96v2 and it's quite cool to test around. However, now I'm going for something "more serious".

I built petalinux multiple times and tried removing all the bloat (x11, all the multimedia stuff, etc) but the build always failed because of different reasons.

In the next step I concluded that it's probably not possible to modify petalinux to a degree that I like. So I started using yocto, trying to build my own thing.

Couple of questions:

• Is it even feasible to rid petalinux of all the bloat and basically just get a plain linux?
  • When using yocto, do I include the petalinux layer but only the parts that I want or do I leave it out completely?
  • How do I get the linux kernel into my yocto setup? Is this the correct layer to go: meta-linux-mainline
  • Any general tips on how to get this to work?

I know there is a lot of information on all of these topics but it's very hard to understand all of it. That's why I'm kindly asking these questions in hope someone more experienced in these topics can point me in the right directions.

Best regards

Felix

0 Kudos
2 Replies
hokim
Scholar
Scholar

Hi

The latest petalinux  is actually yocto with convenient petalinux cli command

Also you can use the complete yocto commands(bitbake, devtool, recipetool...) since petalinux 2020.x like this

$ cd <peta-proj-dir>
$ source components/yocto/layers/core/oe-init-build-env build
$ export BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE="$BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE PETALINUX"
$ bitbake petalinux-image-minimal

0 Kudos
stephenm

0 Kudos