cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgillott
Observer
Observer

ZC702 Base TRD 2015.4. Why uImage and not image.ub?

Jump to solution

Hi

Just finished building the linux image for the ZC702 base targeted ref design with petalinux 2015.4

In the build, the kernel is packaged as uImage, then this, the devicetree and ramdisc image are copied to the SD card

In Petalinux Reference Guide UG1144 it is the FIT image.ub that is copied to SD.

So why does btrd use uImage +dt + ramdisc ?

(I tried booting from image.ub produced by the btrd build. Kernel starts but cant find ramdisc.)

Thanks

Malcolm

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ckohn
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Malcolm,

I would say it's for historic reasons. In the past, the Base TRD supplied two different device-tree files, one that worked with the HDMI daughter card and the other without. Therefore, it was much easier to not include the dt in the image file so one can easily switch between different device trees without having to rebuild image.ub.

That being said, you should be able to use image.ub but you will have to rebuild u-boot in a different configuration as u-boot currently expects uImage + dt + ramdisk. Now I haven't tried this myself, but if you run petalinux-config and set u-boot to auto-config, it should select image.ub as the default boot flow. Of course you also have to rebuild your BOOT.bin now.

Hope this helps!

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ckohn
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Malcolm,

I would say it's for historic reasons. In the past, the Base TRD supplied two different device-tree files, one that worked with the HDMI daughter card and the other without. Therefore, it was much easier to not include the dt in the image file so one can easily switch between different device trees without having to rebuild image.ub.

That being said, you should be able to use image.ub but you will have to rebuild u-boot in a different configuration as u-boot currently expects uImage + dt + ramdisk. Now I haven't tried this myself, but if you run petalinux-config and set u-boot to auto-config, it should select image.ub as the default boot flow. Of course you also have to rebuild your BOOT.bin now.

Hope this helps!

Chris

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
mgillott
Observer
Observer

Chris

Thanks for the answers - both to my question posed, and to an un-asked question about u-boot config

Thanks and Regards!

Malcolm

0 Kudos