UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Newbie michael1605

debugging Linux applications on Microblaze

Hello,

could someone please answer some questions who is debugging Linux applications on Microblaze.

I have to prepare an environment to debug applications running on Microblaze Linux 2.6.38. Everywhere, I can find hints how to do it with ARM on Zynq, but this is only a Spartan-6. I might change the Linuxversion but not the hardware.

First, I compiled the kernel 2.6.38 (PLB, big endian) with initramfs_minimal.cpio.gz, then I compiled it with initramfs_complete.cpio.gz. In both cases, the Linux Kernel is running on Microblaze and I can access the filesystem with a serial link and with LAN using telnet.

To debug applications, I tried to run with Windows 7 (64-bit) the Xilinx SDK (Eclipse) included in ISE/XPS 14.7. For Linux applications running on Microblaze, I tried to use the GDB-Debugger in SDK. I think I have to start a GDBserver first and then start SDK to connect to it.

I could not find the GDBserver in the above mentioned filesystems. So, I downloaded the GDB sources for GDB 7.7 and did two configurations. One for the host (first VirtualBox with Ubuntu-Linux-32bit, later Windows 7) and one for the target (microblaze running on spartan-6).

to create the GDBclient for the PC:

configure --prefix=/opt/gdb/mb-linux/cross --target=microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu

The following commands 'make' and 'make install' are running without errors.

to create GDBserver for the FPGA:

configure --prefix=/opt/gdb/mb-linux/native --host=microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu

There is an error with the following command 'make'.

error: Gdb does not support native target microblaze-unknown-linux-gnu

I have really tried a lot, looked at many pages, e.g.:

http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/

Xilinx Wiki - Getting started

Xilinx Wiki - MicroBlaze

Xilinx Wiki - Create Linux Application

Xilinx Wiki -Debug Application

Many links were broken and if accessible, debugging Linux on Zynq or debugging a standalone application on microblaze was described.

It would be very helpful if someone who actually did debug Linux applications on microblaze with or without SDK could describe a little bit how it works.

Is GDB included in either of these filesystems and I did not see it ?

Do I need to create GDBserver ?

What is wrong with my settings to create GDBserver ?

Is there a totally different way to debug ?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Michael

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: debugging Linux applications on Microblaze

@michael1605

I don't see a tutorial for Microblaze Linux application Debug but below links may give some insight of it.

http://www.xilinx.com/training/zynq/how-to-debug-a-linux-application-using-xilinx-sdk.htm

http://xilinx.wikidot.com/microblaze-linux

Regards,

Achutha

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Newbie michael1605

Hello Achutha,

thank you for your reply.

I already knew those two links but I took a close look at them again.

The second link helps to run a Linux kernel on Microblaze. It ends when it's getting interresting for me. It does not describe anything about developing a Linux application.

The first link is using Zynq. Most of the steps can be done with Microblaze as well. When I start debugging, it changes to the debug perspektive and after some seconds I see the message

Hello_Linux_Debug(SDK Linux TCF Agent: Disconnected): Connection refused: connect

SDK.log in the SDK workspace shows:

15:20:34.399 ERROR - Unexpected error while parsing XMD response ?: com.google.gson.JsonSyntaxException: com.google.gson.stream.MalformedJsonException: invalid number or unquoted string near

I tried the following options but nothing helped:

Kernel with initramfs_minimal.cpio.gz and with initramfs_complete.cpio.gz.

Changed the access rights of /tmp (I used it for 'Remote File Path')

In the video for Zynq, it is said:

by default, there is a TCF agent running

I guess, the TCF agent can be seen on Zynq if you list all processes running.

What is the name of the TCF agent?

I guess this one is missing on my Microblaze.

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Newbie michael1605

Hello,

The problem is not yet solved.

Did no one ever debug Linux applications on MicroBlaze ?

Is it working with the Xilinx SDK (Eclipse) or just with GDB ?

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Kudos