Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

fsck: fsck.auto: No such file or directory

Jump to solution

I am trying to install fsck in order to repair the FS

I found Install fsck 

but I get an error fsck: fsck.auto: No such file or directory; 

Borad Type :The board is Zynq UltraScale+ MPSoC.

Any Idea?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No problem thanks for your help  and guide 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

fsck.auto is a helper that determines the type of filesystem, and then calls a filesystem-specific checker. This is a convenience, but it is not actually necessary, if you know the type of filesystem.

eg. it may be FAT or VFAT for older DOS filesystem, NTFS for newer windows formatted partition, or it may be ext2/3/4 for a linux rootfilesystem. There are others of course.

For each there is a specific checker that you can call directly. Here are some possible examples:

fsck.vfat /dev/mmcblk0p1
fsck.ext4 /dev/mmcblk0p2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I don't have the commands you wrote  ; this is the reason I am trying to use fsck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Well, fsck (and fsck.auto) will eventually call the utilities I mentioned. So you'll need them one way or the other.

The fsck utility itself can be enabled with "petalinux -c rootfs" then Filesystem Packages --> base --> util-linux --> util-linux-fsck. I guess you have this, and it's the the one giving you the error about "fsck.auto missing".

The fsck.ext2 / fsck.ext3 / fsck.ext4 are part of the e2fsprogs-e2fsck package. Run "petalinux -c rootfs" and check in Filesystem Packages --> base --> e2fsprogs --> e2fsprogs-e2fsck

The ones for FAT/VFAT come from the dosfstools package... which for some reason does not seem to be in Petalinux (perhaps I missed it, or it is under a different name).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

thanks for the reply no fsck.vfat to check my FS

fsck fsck.ext2 fsck.ext3 fsck.ext4 fsck.util-linux

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Right, for vfat you need to add the dosfstools package. I've not tried it, but there is an older post about this:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Petalinux-fsck-support-for-FAT32-file-systems/td-p/860481

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Again thanks for the reply 

In my first message I had a link you posted and it didn't work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Oh, we've gone full circle

By "didn't work" do you mean: did you get an error building it? Or did it seem to succeed, but there was no fsck.vfat produced?

Also, which version of Petalinux are you using, might help so we can try and reproduce...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No: fsck.vfat , when install the image.

I am using 2018.2

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar
Seems that 2018.x version is not compatible with ubuntu 18.04.x (there are a lot of posts about this) so unfortunately I cannot easily reproduce this...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No problem thanks for your help  and guide 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos